Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Working Your Life Around Fixtures.

leigh white

Used to use a lot of my annual leave on Saturdays for games as I worked one in 2 weekends and it wasn't easy switching shifts.

More recently I don't work weekends but canned night matches off when my son came along.

Handed my notice in when I couldn't get a holiday for Lisbon. They relented and I got the days I needed.

Had a part time job whilst at uni at argos and the store manager was a city fan. Talking about football on day one and he asked what days I could work. Back in the height of our prem days it couldn't be Saturday or Sunday, Monday night, Wednesday or Thursday for UEFA. I used to work Tuesday nights and a few hours on a Friday. Took six months before any other staff twigged I never worked weekends by which point I was leaving.

• Moderators

I don't know how I did it years ago. One season I went to every game bar one. Even preseason friendly's. Walsall away was the one I missed. So close to a perfect attendance record. Still pisses me off now when I think about it.

Why didn't you go and how far into the season was it?

Think my best season was 2002/03 when I did all home games and about 14/15 of the aways

Last season only did 1 away and missed about 7 homes, some out of choice, probably my "worst" since uni days

I begrudge missing home league games, not missed one since 2007. There's a works Xmas do in Manc coming up on December 12th from 3 (another home game), I plan on getting the train there straight after the full time whistle.

When there's a midweek game I have a 20 minute window from getting home after work to leaving for the match. You tend to find you use your holidays from work for more practical things than football as your family grows.

Aye, from the conversation I had today, apparently 1979 was the last time Mick bought a ticket... :)

Ha Ha, bloody hard work trying to flog off a spare ticket for Gubbins when his pal failed to show up in the Castle pub in B'Pool today , anyway I made a quid profit for him, and in return he is lending me his ST for next week.

• Moderators

back in 01, planned a holiday to NYC around Bolton fixtures, flight prices went down on Sept 1st so because of flight times had choice of missing either Germany England (the 5-1) or Leeds away a week later.

decided to get back for the Leeds game, had I done it the other way would've been there on 9/11

Amazed you're capable of posting at this time Mick, hope your eyes aren't burning! #legend

Landed in B/Pool at eleven, Ma Kelly's was shut so walked it to the Vic were i met Gubbins, then onto spoons, mitre, rose & crown, castle, and then finally the bridge near the ground, had a few pints in each pub and met my son in the mitre, managed to get a lift home with him. Every pub in the town was hammered with Bolton.

Landed in B/Pool at eleven, Ma Kelly's was shut so walked it to the Vic were i met Gubbins, then onto spoons, mitre, rose & crown, castle, and then finally the bridge near the ground, had a few pints in each pub and met my son in the mitre, managed to get a lift home with him. Every pub in the town was hammered with Bolton.

may be mistaken but was you selling a ticket in castle?