Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Snooker

Cheese

23 minutes ago, Smiley said:

Yep, spotted that, all added to the moment. 

Love the bit on Bill's wiki page

"

Werbeniuk was noted for the copious amounts of alcohol he consumed before and during matches – at least six pints before a match and then one pint for each frame. In total, he drank between 40 and 50 pints of lager per day.[1][3] Doctors advised Werbeniuk to drink alcohol to counteract a familial benign essential tremor.[4] Later in his career he also took propranolol, a beta blocker, to cope with the effects of his alcohol consumption on his heart.[5]

Bill was also famously reported in the UK tabloid press as successfully claiming the cost of 6 pints of lager before every match as a tax deductible expense.[2]

Some of Werbeniuk's most famous feats of drinking include: 76 cans of lager during a game with John Spencer in Australia in the 1970s;[1] 43 pints of lager in a snooker match/drinking contest against Scotsman Eddie Sinclair in which, after Sinclair had passed out following his 42nd pint, Werbeniuk was reported to say "I'm away to the bar now for a proper drink";[6] 28 pints of lager and 16 whiskies over the course of 11 frames during a match against Nigel Bond, in January 1990 – after which Werbeniuk then consumed an entire bottle of Scotch to "drown his sorrows" after losing the match.[1]

"

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Site Supporter

The snooker today has been sensational! Managed to avoid the Robertson-Williams result and watch it on catch up. Both Semi-Finals have gone to deciding frames. Weirdly, all 4 semi-finalists have been left-handed too.

Robertson v Hawkins final tomorrow. Cannot wait.

• Site Supporter
6 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Up the kack handers

Many moons ago my late Grandma told me "Did you know left-handed people come from aliens? I saw it in the paper". I was only a kid, so I didn't really question it. I got home later that day and started reading the Bolton Evening News's she'd saved for me, and one of the headlines was "Left-handed People Feel Alienated". True story.

Edited by Cheese

14 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Many moons ago my late Grandma told me "Did you know left-handed people come from aliens? I saw it in the paper". I was only a kid, so I didn't really question it. I got home later that day and started reading the Bolton Evening News's she'd saved for me, and one of the headlines was "Left-handed People Feel Alienated". True story.

🤣

Amazing. 

I'm left handed and suffer from hay fever. 

Not sure the snooker thread is one for throwing out bait but here goes... 🎣

• Site Supporter
4 minutes ago, stevieb said:

🤣

Amazing. 

I'm left handed and suffer from hay fever. 

Not sure the snooker thread is one for throwing out bait but here goes... 🎣

Same here mate but I play golf right handed. Cricket I bowl left handed & bat right handed.... Both very badly mind... Probably due to my hay fever 😊