Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

20 Years Ago

COYW

Red steel! Has it always been red? Never noticed that before.....

Was fascinating watching it go up week by week as a kid. Think the original designs have been posted on here a few times.

Nearly 20 years old and looks like it could have been built yesterday. Lovely ground, one of the best in the country - despite it's downsides I'm still very proud it's ours.

Red steel! Has it always been red? Never noticed that before.....

Was fascinating watching it go up week by week as a kid. Think the original designs have been posted on here a few times.

Nearly 20 years old and looks like it could have been built yesterday. Lovely ground, one of the best in the country - despite it's downsides I'm still very proud it's ours.

Well said.

It's a ground to be proud of.

We took my grandad to that viewing stand thing at the side and watched it get built. Sadly he passed away before it was finished but we at least got 3 genrations at the place.

It's quite amazing that within a decade of having to sell a bit of our ground off to a supermarket chain to avoid going bankrupt and fans having to form the trotters revival stuff we had plans drawn up for a the super stadium we see today.

What an incredible turn around.

Edited by gonzo

I use to go every weekend and watched it grow into a fantastic stadium and it still is, even now when i drive passed it on non match days it fills me with pride.

I was talking to a Boro fan after the game last year and he said he'd only attended the game so he could come to the Reebok, he said it was 1 of the best grounds he'd ever been too

• Moderators

my old man used to work on security at victoria mill, so could go in his "office" and watch the ground going up on the CCTV cameras, I'd just sit there and watch really not much happening

could also see in folks houses/bedrooms down Chorley New Road, but again, not much happened

Ipswich fan I took last weekend commented on what a top stadium it was and how it didn't look like it had aged at all considering it's not too far off 20 years now.

My mate who I brought up from the match also said what a good ground it still is. His son who was paying his first visit to the ground reckoned it was the best ground he had ever been to.......to be fair he's only ever been to about 10 grounds in his life though

What was the total build cost? Around £40M? It seems incredible that we built a ground like that for the same price as Juan Mata.

Think it was less than that I have the 25 million mark in my head for some reason, Malcolm will be along to tell us soon 

Just had a butchers on their website.

Hargreves have just been awarded a £20 million contract to build a new site for warburtons.

Reckon Gordon and Brett discussed that over a pint and a go on the quiz machine?

Move the next ground to the valley. A plan is forming defo.