Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Where To Holiday 2016

Happy Wanderer

Oh aye, good shout for beers at sunset at the Sea Organ...

'The Garden' is an outdoor bar that's worth a visit too, it's up on the hill above the sea gate...

Go up the bell tower in the old town on your first day (and just before the hour strikes :) ) It'll give you a good idea of where everything is in relation to your map...

The Garden was very smart, called in there for a drink most days, prices reasonable for the service and setting.

Pretty sure we passed Kovolare beach (got a bus from the airport into town which I think dropped us near there) so I saw locals sunbathing and a water polo court; depends how loose your definition of a beach is I suppose.  Would like to go back and check out some of the islands with more time, actually looking into Croatia this July for https://www.inmusicfestival.com/program/2015 and flying in and out of Zadar is the cheapest way to do it so that may happen

The Garden was very smart, called in there for a drink most days, prices reasonable for the service and setting.

Pretty sure we passed Kovolare beach (got a bus from the airport into town which I think dropped us near there) so I saw locals sunbathing and a water polo court; depends how loose your definition of a beach is I suppose.  Would like to go back and check out some of the islands with more time, actually looking into Croatia this July for https://www.inmusicfestival.com/program/2015 and flying in and out of Zadar is the cheapest way to do it so that may happen

Previously been to Hvar, Korcula, Mljet (fantastic national park on here), Trstenik, Cavtat and Dubrovnik.

And Porec with Yugotours in the 80s!!!

Edited by Smiley

Yes, the main bus station isn't far from Kolovare, both in the new town, which is where most of the locals live if you're 'keeping it real' - there's a cracking Croatian pizza place in the new town, just around the corner from NK Zadar's ground. To go back to Kolovare, I agree, it's not a beach in anything but name, but the sea is accessible for swimming and clean, clear and fairly safe and it's fit for sunbathing...I saw folk getting in (the sea) here and swimming up to the Sea Organ (or vice-versa) they looked fairly fit though, I wouldn't have attempted it.

I dunno, perhaps it's just me, but I feel cheated if I go to the seaside anywhere and don't venture in for a dip.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Sounds good, in the meantime, Ryanair, though I've not checked lately, their Manchester-Oslo Rygge route used to consistently be about 30p* per flight...

* This may be a gross underestimation of actual cost.

I would give yourself plenty of time, if considering using Rygge then transfering to Gardermoen. There'll be a bus service (as Ryanair insist on this as a condition of starting service to an airport) but Rygge to Gardermoen I would imagine is a good 2 hr journey.

Cheers, I imagined Rygge would be a fair way out from Oslo and t'other airport, this assumption coming from Ryanair's definition of 'Stockholm' as being Nyköping (Stockholm Skavsta) - a good hour non-stop on the coach to Stockholm City Centre (edit: and then another schlepp North, to Arlanda - it's a similar situation in Oslo. I see.)

I found the Bahia principe in Mexico decent enough for the price

Which one? There are loads!

Like the look of the Sirenis and it seems reasonably priced

http://www.sirenishotels.com/en/info/hotel/grand_sirenis_riviera_maya_resort_spa/

Riviera maya. Think it had three on one site

Ah, yes about 10 mins south of Sirenis.

3 hotels on one complex, over 2,000 rooms.

Not for me to be honest, daughter isn't keen on crowds.

Erm, we're not going to Sirenis now.

Somebody forgot to book it yesterday and the last rooms went this morning when that person remembered to do it.

Had a 2nd look at Bahia Principe and one of them (Akumal?) is smaller and probably best suited. We can use the other 2 hotels freely, but they cant use ours, so that might work.

Unless, of course, Youri finds me a hotel deal :D

Unless, of course, Youri finds me a hotel deal :D

I spoke to the person in question t'other day and she's put the feelers out, I did mention it was Easter and time was of the essence, but still not heard owt back, I'll get in touch again with her tonight.

Looked at Thomson's flights only, very impressed with their last minute prices, Manchester-Puerto Vallarta return flying next Thursday for a week, basic price? £278.78 - sale of the f*cking century, I'd have been all over that if I wasn't (relatively) skint...

I'll be keeping an eye on Thomson for flights from now on.

I think there were four seats remaining on the flight I mentioned, I presume that when the prices dip so low and the remaining seats are so limited you run the risk of not being seated together (even if you pay the seat reservation premium)?

Still, £280 for a return flight to Mexico takes some beating, I'd serve the drinks and sweep the plane after landing for that...

edit: oh aye, still no joy with the hotels, I'll try her once again in the morning.

Went to Palma Nova recently. Very nice place, went all inclusive, food not bad at all. Hotel was nice, decent view too. Evening entertainment in the hotel was alright I suppose, just a nice chilled holiday / completely opposite to what I imagined. Surprised at how opposite it was compared to Magaluf.

Went to Palma Nova recently. Very nice place, went all inclusive, food not bad at all. Hotel was nice, decent view too. Evening entertainment in the hotel was alright I suppose, just a nice chilled holiday / completely opposite to what I imagined. Surprised at how opposite it was compared to Magaluf.

Always had the impression it was just a place for folk who are too old to say they're going to Magaluf but too young to be trotting off to Benidorm. Cracking crazy golf course though :)