Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Bolton Is A Dump

anewman

• Site Supporter

Management visited her dad newly admitted to a town centre nursing home this week and afterwards went round the town centre for the first time in many months. Came home saying how depressing she found it. Middlebrook largely to blame?

How?

• Site Supporter

If Marks and Spencer's start to really struggle, the Bolton store will be first one potted.

That will be the end for the town centre.

The council should be fucking hung off the town hall clock

Drop the rents, fuck the car park charges off and beg some decent retailers to come back.

Tell pound shops and pawnbrokers to sling their hook and eventually it will improve,

Edited by Spider

• Site Supporter

If Marks and Spencer's start to really struggle, the Bolton store will be first one potted.

That will be the end for the town centre.

The council should be fucking hung off the town hall clock

Drop the rents, fuck the car park charges off and beg some decent retailers to come back.

Tell pound shops and pawnbrokers to sling their hook and eventually it will improve,

It's the same in every town in England. It's a shame, but the masses seem to prefer retail parks and massive supermarkets with acres of parking. Not to mention online shopping. Town centres aren't very relevant these days.

Fair point Cas the council charge rates.

Rates would likely have fallen in Bolton but the government announced a decision to postpone the revaluation in 2012.

Whats your view on the rents then Cas? Too high or not? Or only too high if the Council is charging?

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

• Site Supporter

Rates would likely have fallen in Bolton but the government announced a decision to postpone the revaluation in 2012.

Whats your view on the rents then Cas? Too high or not? Or only too high if the Council is charging?

It's not, because Bolton Council have no control over Business Rates.

• Moderators

what makes you think rates wouldve fallen?

is there any evidence that they reduced pre 2012 - i don't know, so im interested

It's the same in every town in England. It's a shame, but the masses seem to prefer retail parks and massive supermarkets with acres of parking. Not to mention online shopping. Town centres aren't very relevant these days.

Fucking Hell, I agree with Mr Fromage

Cas - google 'Business Rates revaluation postponement' and theres loads of stuff out there - im unable to post links for some reason.

There has been significant disparity in property price growth between north and south in the period since the last revaluation.

Suggesting that businesses in Bolton lost out and many in the South gained from the postponement is a fairly uncontroversial view in my opinion.

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

Cas - a couple of posters criticised the council for high rents, I pointed out that the council aren't the main ones that charge rents.

You changed the debate to rates - I pointed out that rates would have likely gone down had the revaluation gone ahead.

Arguments were made that I considered to be red herrings so I offered information to counter. That doesn't mean I'm blaming the revaluation postponement for the decline in the TC either pre or post 2012.

If you want my view the decline of retail in the town centre is due to the Trafford Centre, Middlebrook and the local econcomic conditions .

The decline of the night time economy I'd put down to more drinking at home and growth of the Manchester night time economy. I don't think there is even one proper restaurant in the TC which is pretty shameful.

I think the council could have acted MUCH faster with things like free parking but they are well down the list for blame IMO. Is a complex issue for which some immediately choose the council as a convenient scapegoat.

Edited by RoadRunnerFan

• Moderators

Cas - a couple of posters criticised the council for high rents, I pointed out that the council aren't the main ones that charge rents.

You changed the debate to rates - I pointed out that rates would have likely gone down had the revaluation gone ahead.

Arguments were made that I considered to be red herrings so I offered information to counter. That doesn't mean I'm blaming the revaluation postponement for the decline in the TC either pre or post 2012.

aye, i can read :)

i asked you why you reckon rates would 'likely have gone down'

If you want my view the decline of retail in the town centre is due to the Trafford Centre, Middlebrook and the local econcomic conditions .

Yet you would be wrong. In the late 1980's Bolton town centre was light years ahead of Bury in terms of shopping visitors etc. Today Bolton is 5 leagues below Bury. Both have had out of town shopping, and the Trafford to contend with yet whereas Bolton spent 20 years in some ideological attack against the car driver, Bury took steps to welcome them.

Edited by bgoefc