Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Rugby Is Back....

Underpants

He's a jock

His opinions on English rugby mean nowt

As a Lions captain he has ever right to speak on the issue. It's one which will be rearing its head in football soon when FIFA shift the 2012 Qatar World Cup to the winter, slap bang in the middle of the season for the clubs paying the massive wages of the players,

As a Lions captain he has ever right to speak on the issue. It's one which will be rearing its head in football soon when FIFA shift the 2012 Qatar World Cup to the winter, slap bang in the middle of the season for the clubs paying the massive wages of the players,

Doesn't the 6 nations take place during the season? Edited by frank_spencer

I suppose that those associated with perpetual 'also rans' in the 6 Nations have a stronger affinity with the Lions than those who are always expected to win it or just miss. It's their chance to team up with what is touted as 'the best' (I would question that after this tour) and actually achieve something.

Personally, I would much prefer to see England achieving greatness on tours rather than the Lions.

If the club's were really bothered then they would pull their faces at all summer tours. The Lions go on tour once every 4 years and it is bigger than any tour by any single nation. And that includes NZ coming over here. Nearly all the RU internationals are played during a season and the club's carry on regardless without their top names. Imagine that happening in the football premiership. There's plenty of room in the international calendar to accommodate the Lions. England toured Argentina with a very strong second string team and won. Surely blooding new players on a tour can only benefit England in the long term. The club's can moan as much as they like. This situation isn't changing anytime soon.

Absolutely phenomenal game of rugby that. Everything on the line and both sides gave it all.

Notice the spirit its been played in as well. Massivebplaudits to both sides but especially for the lions for an immense performance. I like most gave them no hope. Superb.

I thought they had a good chance this time around until gatland pulled the old Welsh players card. Some of his selections are mind boggling not least Warburton who shouldn't be in the squad never mind leading it as captain.

????

That has been great viewing. My local rugby club opened early this morning to show it, apparently over 200 in there watching the game...and judging by some of the photos I'm being sent every single one of them is absolutely steaming.

????

Still stand by my view that it was the wrong squad so not sure what your point is really

Some of the decisions during the series also I didn't quite understand such as not starting itoje in game 1 and then dropping teo after game 1.

Liam Williams certainly made me eat my words though as I thought he was a real threat and I thought playing daly on the wing was wrong but again I was wrong and it was a master stroke.

• Members

Still stand by my view that it was the wrong squad so not sure what your point is really

Some of the decisions during the series also I didn't quite understand such as not starting itoje in game 1 and then dropping teo after game 1.

Liam Williams certainly made me eat my words though as I thought he was a real threat and I thought playing daly on the wing was wrong but again I was wrong and it was a master stroke.

Sexton made me eat mine to a point today too. Played a solid game.

Have to doff your cap to a team made up of four countries with limited time to prepare and gel being able to go to the most difficult place in the world and come back with a drawn series.

Absolutely top drawer. That was a compelling watch today. Had almost everything.

From the first minute to the last I thought the Lions we're going to lose today. And maybe they should have. Funny thing is think they improved on last weeks winning performance. IMO folk saying that it was the the wrong team to take down under have been proven wrong. After all that has been said over this test series I got a anticlimactic feeling at the end.

• Members

From the first minute to the last I thought the Lions we're going to lose today. And maybe they should have. Funny thing is think they improved on last weeks winning performance. IMO folk saying that it was the the wrong team to take down under have been proven wrong. After all that has been said over this test series I got a anticlimactic feeling at the end.

Make a note pal. "Must keep rubbing".

From the first minute to the last I thought the Lions we're going to lose today.  After all that has been said over this test series I got a anticlimactic feeling at the end.

agree with part 1 but I had a great feeling when they avoided defeat.I think NZ were the stronger team and blew it although ultimately it was a generous refereeing decision right at the end that stopped NZ from winning it.
The only times in the 3 match series  the Lions had sustained pressure and looked more likely to score a try was when they had an extra man on the pitch due to yellow and red cards.Its a fine achievement to hang in there and draw with a better side.

agree with part 1 but I had a great feeling when they avoided defeat.I think NZ were the stronger team and blew it although ultimately it was a generous refereeing decision right at the end that stopped NZ from winning it.

The only times in the 3 match series the Lions had sustained pressure and looked more likely to score a try was when they had an extra man on the pitch due to yellow and red cards.Its a fine achievement to hang in there and draw with a better side.

Was only an anticlimax in respect of a series draw. The 3rd test itself was a nail biting watch. And I would imagine a frustrating, and ultimately a disappointing one for the kiwis. Still, I thought this series had 0-3 written all over it so mustn't grumble.

• Members

Was only an anticlimax in respect of a series draw. The 3rd test itself was a nail biting watch. And I would imagine a frustrating, and ultimately a disappointing one for the kiwis. Still, I thought this series had 0-3 written all over it so mustn't grumble.

All spot on.

As an aside, when I saw the Lions were 5.25 I had to have a little flutter. Thought I'd blown a bit of cash but Sportsbet paid me out at 2.625 because they never offered any odds for a draw.  The 'John Steed' Pantherellas will be released shortly. Pre-release order already in.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like scrum halfs for the same reason I don't like Yorkshire terriers, annoying small things always yapping. But Gareth Edwards is a legend and the tribute programme on BBC2 yesterday is well worth a watch on iPlayer.

It did make passing reference to his athletics prowess, but did not go into any details.

In 1966, while at Millfield, he broke the English Schools record over 200 yards hurdles at Blackburn (I was there).

There is an urban myth that he beat Alan Pascoe, but Pascoe competed in his usual 120yards hurdles there, (though his best over the low hurdles was a second slower than GE they never raced against each other).

The program was made for BBC Wales and broadcast on his birthday (I think), which was 12 July.

How many times will that try be shown

I prefer his chip and chase try against Scotland in 1972, lands face first in to the shale running track.

It's a great game, Gonzo should pull his finger out and put a link to it on YouTube. On first watching it looks like the late Brian Cant was playing blindside for Scotland.