Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Auswitz/birkenau

anewman

Closest i've been was the Holocaust exhibition at the Imperial War Museum which is a pretty sobering experience. There's a scale model of part of Auschwitz which takes up the entire width of a room and that's only a section of it.

I think Bergen Belsen was the first of the Concentration Camps to be liberated by the British Army. It's impossible to imagine the sights they must have witnessed.

Have been there just after the Berlin Wall came down. Harrowing place, I remember in Auswitz several rooms each the size of a small house being filled separately with spectacle frames, false limbs, human hair and children's dolls. The sheer enormity of it all is there before your eyes. What sickened me particularly was not simply the extermination but the degradation and brutality that the inmates suffered prior to that extermination. I defy anyone to go there and come away unmoved.

Been to the Holocaust memorial place in Israel, that is a really sobering place. I was only young but it still made a big impression,should never forget what people are capable of doing to other people when fear and hatred are seen as a solution.

• Site Supporter

I have been, every inch is thought provoking and humbling, the displays of hair and false legs and suitcases etc is unbelievable , the most poignant part of that for me is the photo of the little girl, about 3, being carried off the train, she has these little sandals on her feet. In the glass case containing thousands of pairs of shoes next to the picture , is a pair of little sandals exactly the same.

That got to me there as had a little daughter the same age at the time I went, truly horrible what the images and display put in your mind, but same as dazbob said, glad I went.

I've been to Auschwitz & Birkenau 3 times - gone with different sets of mates each time - they are truly harrowing places but like as already been said, glad I've been. I'm never going back though.

Krakow is a great city to visit - love that big square!

I went to Dachau a few years ago, bleak as fuck.

I went to Munich for Oktoberfest some time in the early 90's, which was a riot.  We decided to go to Dachau and from the minute you walk in, there's just this chill about the place.  Me and my mate didn't speak for hours.  It's the first time I've honestly thought about what went on, seriously.  I think when you're younger you've just got bubbles in your head and aren't interested. 

I have never been to any of them but feel I need to. When the kids are older I think I might take them; not the ideal destination obviously but I think as part of a trip it would be good for them.

My first visit, don't know if I'd take my kids yet, I saw a picture of a kid and you knew that within 20 minutes of that photo being took he was dead and he was the same age as my lad M yet some nazi cunt killed him

• Site Supporter

There was a documentary on the liberation of the concentration camps on Channel 4 a few weeks ago with some very graphic scenes.

The full program can be watched here -

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/holocaust-night-will-fall/4od

that's the most disturbing programme you will ever see, hopefully.

i've seen some sights in real life, but it doesn't come close to the footage in that programme, can't even begin to imagine the stench.

that's the most disturbing programme you will ever see, hopefully.

i've seen some sights in real life, but it doesn't come close to the footage in that programme, can't even begin to imagine the stench.

Mate some rooms are sealed off but if you go low down the smell comes from under the door.

I felt it more at birkenau, horrible horrible cunts

• Members

does it not make you feel differently about wishing muslim's dead?

not taking the piss, serious question.

As far as I have seen, the only muslims he wishes were dead are the same ones you should. Evil cunts who will behead people, burn them alive or blow them up on the London underground or on London buses.

To try and draw a parallel with the atrocities at Nazi death camps is fucking appalling. Pretty sure we would all like to see these evil fuckers simply eliminated - not have their skin harvested for lampshades; their gold fillings looted and experimented upon by injecting petrol into their veins (Note - I might make an exception to some of these for Jihadi John).

Edited by bolty58

Wow

A very harrowing experience. I can't imagine how those poor souls must have felt

I could still smell the stench in the prisoner quarters 70 years later

Sad and thankful that our forefathers went to war to beat them evil bastards

How much did the trip cost for both of you mate?  I fancy going.