Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Happy Birthday Roy Greaves

chief wiggum

The standout memory of Greavsie is his winning goal against Spurs in the 2nd Division. 32,000 on Burnden that day, what a great day for Bolton Wanderers that was.

We played them four times that season. Twice in the FA Cup and twice in the league.

There were 32,000 on for the FA Cup replay at Burnden. 34,000 were in attendance for the league game. 

Bonus points if you remember how many were on for league game at White Hart Lane.

We played them four times that season. Twice in the FA Cup and twice in the league.

There were 32,000 on for the FA Cup replay at Burnden. 34,000 were in attendance for the league game. 

Bonus points if you remember how many were on for league game at White Hart Lane.

On the same day as the FA Cup semi finals.

Greavsie had a testimonial against an All Stars team a few days after one of the promotion near misses in either 76 or 77 so it was a bit flat to put it mildly

The crowd at Tottenham was just over 50,000 their biggest league crowd for 3 years.Yeah they got lower crowds against Arsenal and Man Utd the last couple of season.I was on WHite Hart Lane that day, kin Don McAllister scored their goal.Id love to see the Burnden match on Tv if anyone has a link

On the same day as the FA Cup semi finals.

08 April 1978

FA Cup semi-finals

Arsenal v Orient (at Stamford Bridge) = 49,698

WBA v Ipswich (at Highbury) = 50,922

Second Division

Tottenham Hotspur v Bolton Wanderers = 50,097

The attendance for the league game at White Hart Lane was not only bigger than one of the FA Cup semi-finals but it was the biggest attendance in the country that day even though Man Utd, Liverpool, Leeds and Newcastle all had home fixtures in the First Division.

That game at Spurs was hard work. It wasn't tickets & by the time a lot of Bolton fans got there, the away section was already full with loads of Spurs fans & we had to get in the ground through any open turnstile. We finished up in the opposite end & had to keep quiet.

iirc, Whatmore had a perfectly good goal disallowed :) , but we finished as champions so fuck em.

I went to Ireland with Greavo and a few others for a pre season friendly against St. Pats. In Dublin (a last minute decision that cost me more than I'd bargained for) We went in a pub in Dublin that had loads of football programmes over the bar. Coincidentally, there was a Bolton programme with a photo of Greavo on the cover. The barman wouldn't have it that it was actually him. (I may have told this story before)

That  photo is from the home league game against Spurs. Neil McNab scoring from a shot outside the box but it was disallowed, and thats the Spurs following on the Embankment

Only half the E mbankment JT as I was stood under tother floodlight smoking a number 6. ( compulsory for all 11 year olds at the time )