Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Happy Birthday Roy Greaves

chief wiggum

Stalwart of the club in the 70s would go as far to say as the heartbeat of that great Ian Greaves team. Happy Birthday Greavsie.

My formative years watching the Wanderers was the 70's as a young lad going with my late dad, whose opinion of Greavsie was that if he played well Bolton played well. And he usually did. What we would do for a player like that now...!

• Site Supporter

My formative years watching the Wanderers was the 70's as a young lad going with my late dad, whose opinion of Greavsie was that if he played well Bolton played well. And he usually did. What we would do for a player like that now...!

Under appreciated by many at the time.

This shows Freddie Hill running through the middle and laying the ball to his left Mounts...

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/arsenal-v-bolton/query/Bolton

That run by Freddie was typical and why he had the nickname 'God' Good to see Franny Lee in a white shirt again. I didn't realise footage existed from, what was, my first season watching the Whites.

This shows Freddie Hill running through the middle and laying the ball to his left Mounts...

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/arsenal-v-bolton/query/Bolton

Great video clip, cheers Burnden, must have been gutting for Bolton fans of that period that we lost Hill and Lee to Man City when 10-15 years earlier they'd probably stayed at Bolton for life it's no wonder we've lost fans to United and City. Edited by Mounts Kipper

• Members

Full name Frederick Hill Date of birth 17 January 1940 (age 75) Place of birth SheffieldEngland

Playing position Inside forward

Youth career 1956–1957 Bolton Wanderers

Senior career

1957–1969 Bolton Wanderers 375 (74)

1969–1970 Halifax Town 25 (3)

1970–1973 Manchester City 35 (3)

1973–1975 Peterborough United 75 (7)

1975 Cork Hibernians ?

Total   510 (87)

National team 1962 England 2 (0)

Edited by burnden

Greavsie had a testimonial against an All Stars team a few days after one of the promotion near misses in either 76 or 77 so it was a bit flat to put it mildly

The crowd at Tottenham was just over 50,000 their biggest league crowd for 3 years.Yeah they got lower crowds against Arsenal and Man Utd the last couple of season.I was on WHite Hart Lane that day, kin Don McAllister scored their goal.Id love to see the Burnden match on Tv if anyone has a link

I remember Don McAllister's twin nieces very well from the later 70s early 80s.  Amanda and Deborah (can't remember which one was my early on grapple, etc.) lived down the bottom of Windermere Road in Farnworth.  Just done a little google search and still very decent.

Monteraze, partners with Sam think they fell out over something or other, used to go in pre match for a while it was usually rammed.

Last time I saw him was when a crowd of us from Rossendale were having a pre match drink in there before the infamous Wolves playoff game. He was chatting to a mate when 6 or so Wolves players strolled in who had been left out of the squad and had no intention of watching the game. They included their marque big money Dutch centre half whose name escapes me. He wasnt injured and I remember Roy saying not all was well in their camp. He was right.

Great character, which he had to be, given he was a favourite boo boy for the Paddock.