Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pre -Season Games

Mounts Kipper

I only do home games and up until the last stretch of the season when he was fooked, he was an ideal player for a club our size. He worked his nuts off and provided a real threat time and time again.

Precisely.

I don't get the Feeney knockers.

Time & again last season he was also played out of position for his strengths & many times at away matches last season, especially when we were down to the bare bones, he was the only player that gave an out ball & attacking threat.

Arguably you have to realise he's currently playing at the highest level he ever has & constantly gives his all. We have far more pressing issues than Feeney. He'll do for me for now.

Precisely.

I don't get the Feeney knockers.

Time & again last season he was also played out of position for his strengths & many times at away matches last season, especially when we were down to the bare bones, he was the only player that gave an out ball & attacking threat.

Arguably you have to realise he's currently playing at the highest level he ever has & constantly gives his all. We have far more pressing issues than Feeney. He'll do for me for now.

I agree. I wish he could deliver a good final ball more often though.

I'm just hoping that Clough, Clayton, Pratley, Davies and Wheater (if the last two can stay fit) can make enough of a difference because on that showing last night we're in for another hard season. Defence looked vulnerable again and very little creativity in midfield. Spearing still gives the ball away far too much. Vela best of the bunch. Don't know what's going on with Hall...is he going or staying? This putting him in the shop window business is what left us massively under-prepared in previous pre-seasons. We should only be using players we definitely see as part of the team, two weeks from the start of a season. I did like the look of Madine though - tall and strong, holds it up well and a nice touch.

I think our first 11 would give most teams at this level a decent game the problem is if we have injuries to key players the squads very mediocre and if we need to use our fringe players often we could be in trouble.

I think our first 11 would give most teams at this level a decent game the problem is if we have injuries to key players the squads very mediocre and if we need to use our fringe players often we could be in trouble.

And our record with injuries recently is pants.

We still need a right back but you're right the 1st choice side should be plenty good enough.

A lack of options behind feeney and madine are the priority for sorting after a right back is found.

Hopefully a few out goings will free up wages.

I agree, on paper we've got some of the best players in this division. But we have had for 4 seasons now and every August (even with fucking Freedman in charge) I've been quietly confident we could mount a challenge. And I've not ruled that out this season. We have a manager everyone is behind and who the players clearly respect. We desperately need a good start and some better luck with injuries though. I keep referring back to Burnley 2 seasons ago. If Madine and Clough can be our Ings and Vokes...

Edited by davidjack

I agree, on paper we've got some of the best players in this division. But we have had for 4 seasons now and every August (even with fucking Freedman in charge) I've been quietly confident we could mount a challenge. And I've not ruled that out this season. We have a manager everyone is behind and who the players clearly respect. We desperately need a good start and some better luck with injuries though. I keep referring back to Burnley 2 seasons ago. If Madine and Clough can be our Ings and Vokes...

I wouldn't go as far as best (Clough has the potential to be) but the bulk of the squad is decent championship fodder and should see us comfortable in mid table.

If Lennon can free up places by shipping out some of Medo, hall etc

We can address the holes in the squad through loans, frees etc

Hopefully august will see some prem kids we can pick up on loan for pennies.