Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Here We Go - Itk Transfer Gossip

Ratwhite

He gestured for them to calm down, hardly gobbing off....but I did find it quite funny!!!

The lads fine, strong minded,he shouldn't and won't change his way of playing.

I disagree - he needs to learn when he can dilly dally and when to put his foot through it. That will only come with experience.

Even Franco Baresi knew when to get rid.

I disagree - he needs to learn when he can dilly dally and when to put his foot through it. That will only come with experience.

Even Franco Baresi knew when to get rid.

Exactly, he just needs to develop, not change..... at 21 he is still learning. Martinez was appalling defensively and didn't even try to help Stones.

Stones is better now than most central defenders have ever been, he is just very young, and will learn in time.

Edited by Pablo

Its odd to say this but Smalling is England's best CB at the minute.

It's gone from a traditional position of strength to our weakest position this summer.

We've been biz at centre back for four or five years. In South Africa we had Super Kev's bitch playing next to Terry because King was a cripple and Carragher was just a half decent full back who played in the middle because we had nobody else. At the last World Cup we had Cahill and Jagielka - not ace, but still better than an alternative of Smalling and Jones.

I don't rate Smalling (his performance in the Cup Final was laughable) but we're already chancing taking just three centre backs to France and the next names down the list are probably Tomkins and Jagielka.

As daft as it sounds, Holding might not actually be that far away.

Stones is better now than most central defenders have ever been, he is just very young, and will learn in time.

Jury is still out for me. I've yet to see him have a game where I've seen him stand out as being exceptional, but then I haven't watched Everton all that often. Certainly all the right people seem to be saying all the right things about him.

Right now I'd still favour a fit Cahill, Jagielka, Smalling or even Jones over Stones. He just strikes me as one of those players who's trying to be noticeable at the expense of doing his job and that could be a disaster in a big tournament. I'll be more than happy if he proves me wrong mind.

Jury is still out for me. I've yet to see him have a game where I've seen him stand out as being exceptional, but then I haven't watched Everton all that often. Certainly all the right people seem to be saying all the right things about him.

Right now I'd still favour a fit Cahill, Jagielka, Smalling or even Jones over Stones. He just strikes me as one of those players who's trying to be noticeable at the expense of doing his job and that could be a disaster in a big tournament. I'll be more than happy if he proves me wrong mind.

Well jury cant be out mate, almost 100 prem games and 9 England caps at 21 years old, thats better than most can dream of.

What is in doubt is how much better he can get, and I agree, I would also not have him in the team....he played well last night, and has also played most his games for England at right back.

He was part at fault for a goal one of the other games, but pretty much set up a goal for England ...... so even at what people say is "poor" is still productive, and so much better than others.

Before our season went to shit, he was putting some of the best defensive performances I have ever seen from anyone in blue. Confidence and the players around him are key.

Edited by Pablo

• Moderators

We've been biz at centre back for four or five years. In South Africa we had Super Kev's bitch playing next to Terry because King was a cripple and Carragher was just a half decent full back who played in the middle because we had nobody else. At the last World Cup we had Cahill and Jagielka - not ace, but still better than an alternative of Smalling and Jones.

I don't rate Smalling (his performance in the Cup Final was laughable) but we're already chancing taking just three centre backs to France and the next names down the list are probably Tomkins and Jagielka.

thank fcuk

on what planet is smalling englands best centre back

With Dier in the squad too I'd say we're covered at CB in all but the worst injury crisis. Up until this season he's played there all his (admittedly short) career.

http://m.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/wanderers/14511837.Gary_Madine_can_still_be_a_hit_at_Bolton_Wanderers__says_Jimmy_Phillips/

Go on lad

Madine starting striker

Clayton and Clough supporting

Newell back up striker

Piss it

If he spends all summer with a sports psychologist and take a full course of testosterone and dianabol then I see no reason why not either.

Gone on raz to Mallorca hasn't he. A poster saw him at airport?

Warm weather training. He's taken Deano's words about being the fittest team in the division to heart and he's making sure he hits the ground running when the squad comes back in for pre-season.

Gone on raz to Mallorca hasn't he. A poster saw him at airport?

I saw him Sunday afternoon at Belfast Airport Departures. He didn't get on the plane back to Manc, and I made he assumption he was going to Newcastle on the next flight.

Wes Brown was on our flight over there on the Friday as he is doing his UEFA A Licence over there this week, so in fairness maybe it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he is doing footy related stuff?

I'm with Gonch though, unless he sorts his head and attitude out, he's not going to be the man for us...