Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Winter Hill

• Site Supporter

Our resident fire bobby wasn't wandering around on the moors. Sorry to disappoint. He has, however, done his share of beating out the flames on the hills and moorlands above Bolton and others further afield.

29 years and 17 days means I am in my last year of service. 348 days to go. Not that I'm counting.

Our resident fire bobby wasn't wandering around on the moors. Sorry to disappoint. He has, however, done his share of beating out the flames on the hills and moorlands above Bolton and others further afield.

29 years and 17 days means I am in my last year of service. 348 days to go. Not that I'm counting.

Well done!

But 2016 is a leap year so you have an extra day.

• Site Supporter

Bugger! Yes, thanks for that Malcolm. Thing is, I started on May 27 1986 which was a Tuesday due to the Monday being a bank holiday so my 12 week basic course was only 11 weeks and four days. Wings and roundabouts I guess.

After 30 years of firebobbying you're entitled to stand down.

• Site Supporter

Thing is it doesn't seem thirty years. In exactly the same way as folk write on wanderers ways that "x number of years ago we were playing such and such-a-body"

Well about a week or two before I started I think we layered Bristol City in the Leyland Daf or whatever it was called.

What will you do when you retire?