Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

'craft' Ale...

Brewery Bar in  Htown adding opening on a Thursday and Sunday now so must be doing ok.

Beers brewed downstairs and served upstairs in an industrial/bohemian styled room and all at £2.40/pint.

Usually a german lager and foreign fruity type beer on draft with a selection of ciders and scrumpy. 

The Blackedge place in Horwich is very good as is the brewery tour at Allgates

http://www.allgatesbrewery.com/visit/

It cost £12 and you could sup as much as you wanted :-)

Also went to Cloudwater brewery in Manchester last month

http://cloudwaterbrew.co/events

Not been open long but their IPA at 6.9% was superb. It took 70 days for their lager to be ready, in comparison they said some of the major brands, Fosters etc took 3 days.

• 2 weeks later...

Talkling to a mate who owns a bar.

He's gone "craft ale only" so that they can charge top dollar

Proper ale places like the Trackside charge less for the small brewery stuff than carling etc.

Iirc they'd a deal with equipment supplier's to carry the mainstream stuff and get pumps etc at a reduction.

Craft Ale is brewed using top ingredients and packed with flavours of different hops and spices.

Se7en Brothers are opening a bar in Manchester, they brew some fantastic Cask and Craft but their IPA is a joy to drink.

On a recent visit to a Brewdog establishment top prices are paid for craft Ale. This has caught the buds of the younger end who like the flavours but also like to drink their beers cold.

Wigan is a superb place to drink Cask and Craft, Wigan Central seem to have got the scene spot on both with selection and prices.

I quite like the cosy "Great Ale Year Round" in the market Hall. This is a great place to drink and meet some remarkable characters. Two friends of mine ran this place when the current occupants went on holiday. I can tell you they money they make is the envy of almost every pub in Bolton.

Bolton seems to have fallen behind with the Cask scene but is attempting a come back. Bury seem to have it spot on and the Trackside being a jewel of a drinkers paradise. Two Spoons also try to compete and some nice ales are on currently.

Has anyone been to Blackledge in Horwich? great place and good ales.

• 3 months later...

MARBLE ARCH BREWERY , Manchester on Oldham / rochdale road, paving stone floors big roaring fire 10/10 food if you must eat (as everybody knows eatings cheating  ).

Not one Beardy Weirdy cnut or smelly tramps in sight .

The sloping paved floor and hundred year old tiles on the walls proper fire loads of flavoured ales , lagers its like going back in time.

Not sure if Maggie Tate will see this but i got a bottle of that Yellow Belly stout he was creaming himself about. Its waiting for the right moment.

Im looking forward to it.

Excellent work, it's the shiz. Smells like one of those Reeses peanut thingys. There is another version too now at 12% called the Yellow Belly sundae, which I'll crack open on Xmas Day perhaps. 

Buxton Brewey, Mikkeler and Siren are three recommended producers. Siren have a Caribbean Chocolate Cake stout which is ace. And if any of you are lucky enough to be an M5 regular like me then a necessary little detour is to Cotteridge Wines on the outskirts of Birmingham, which is the best beer shop in Britain I would think.