Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Chris Froome

gonzo

• Site Supporter

Im not an expert but I do wonder if loads of top athletes are on something they shouldn't be. But, just because you are the best or winner in an event doesn't or shouldn't mean you are a cheat.

Oh and for the record I don't agree with just letting them crack on with it, thin end of the wedge.

• Site Supporter

I fucking love the Tour de France even tough I'm not really a cycling fan, got into it the year Wiggins won it, and always watch the ITV4 highlights show. Don't watch any other races though. 

It's incredible that Britain is considered one of the biggest and best cycling nations in the world from being nowhere in the 90s and before.

There's more cyclists than cars up Rivvy of a weekend these days, long may it continue.

I don't think Froome is doing anything different to any other rider, he's just better as far as I can see. Definitely not 'on another planet'as the French like to say.

There was some doctor bloke on French telly showing all of Froomes stats etc.

There's only proven dopers anywhere near his numbers according to this bloke.

Wether the stats shown were correct is a different matter all together.

• Site Supporter

I might be wrong, but I'm sure Froome and Sky have provided the stats to indicate he is clean,

And agreed/offered to be open to any independent tests at the end of the Tour.

I might be talking shite here though, cos I only watch it for the crashes and the scenery.

• Site Supporter

Team Sky have released stats on Froome, no idea if that makes a difference or not to those that think he is a cheat.

I don't have the numbers for Froome but knowing the distance someone has cycled, the distance and their weight you can work out their power output. It was this figure that was so out of the ordinary for Lance Armstrong.

With Froome I don't think he is that far ahead of the field and has a strong team behind him so think he's clean. Maybe French suspicion is caused by the Brits having no tradition of winning then suddenly becoming top dogs? Looking at it that way it looks very much like East German athletes in the '70's.

I hope he's clean

The french don't seem to like us winning

The French simply refused to believe that Paula Radcliffe was 'clean' when she dominated women's marathon rankings in 2003. They pointed out, among other things, that she was faster than any man in Britain that year (although dozens had run faster in earlier years). This, of course, proved nothing but as innuendo it was pretty good.

But at least thirty years earlier my dad told me that women would eventually challenge at longer distances but not sprints. This was based on many years study of greyhounds.