Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Odd Things Your Parents Said, Did Or Made You Do

Smiley

Often wondered were the term hedda ball came from, used to hear it a lot in the factory I worked at in Manc in the early 70s. I saw an advertisement in the old football league reviews about Heda Balls and presumed it originated from that because they were shite footballs.

• Site Supporter

Often wondered were the term hedda ball came from, used to hear it a lot in the factory I worked at in Manc in the early 70s. I saw an advertisement in the old football league reviews about Heda Balls and presumed it originated from that because they were shite footballs.

I always thought it was "head the ball". I think I even used it earlier in this thread. What a knob.

• Site Supporter

They use the term in the Ian Curtis biopic 'Control'. It's in the hospital scene after Curtis has his first epileptic fit, on the way back from Joy Division's first London gig. I've just watched that scene with subtitles, and it reads as follows:

Peter Hook - I thought epilepsy was only for head-the-balls.

Rob Gretton - What?
Peter Hook - Head-the-balls. Spaccas.
Rob Gretton - Nice, Hooky, nice.

The plot thickens...

There's also the urban dictionary definition, which claims:

Crazy person given to bouts of extreme violence. Has its roots in unregulated games of soccer, where the mildly insane would stick their head, in places where their feet shouldn't be put.

Edit: no balls beat me to it as I was editting..

Edited by Cheese

My Grandad used to use the phrase "more xxxxx than soft Mick" regularly

My Mum also always used to use the "you know what thought did, followed a muck-cart and thought it was a wedding" one at me all the time

So they ain't just Bolton phrases

My family on my Dad's side also all end telephone conversations with "bye for now"....no idea what all that's about

• Site Supporter

I tried explaining soft mick to the Norwegian bird my mate was banging at uni one night.

She was fucking clueless, if anyone knows the etymology of the phrase let me know.

You should know the rules by now.... Especially with the mention of a Norwegian

At the risk of being accused of trying to pinch Malcolm's job (I'm not fit to lace his boots!) I can give you the background to San Fairy Ann.

It goes back to the First World War and is a corruption of the French expression 'ca ne faire rien' which means 'it doesn't matter'. The soldiers brought it back with them when they came home on leave and it subsequently became corrupted into San Fairy Ann. I can remember it being one of the phrases used by my great uncles when I was a kid. They were all WW1 veterans. They also had a taste for Calvados, acquired on their travels. I would love to have a conversation with them now. God bless them.

Carry on.

At the risk of being accused of trying to pinch Malcolm's job (I'm not fit to lace his boots!) I can give you the background to San Fairy Ann.

It goes back to the First World War and is a corruption of the French expression 'ca ne faire rien' which means 'it doesn't matter'. The soldiers brought it back with them when they came home on leave and it subsequently became corrupted into San Fairy Ann. I can remember it being one of the phrases used by my great uncles when I was a kid. They were all WW1 veterans. They also had a taste for Calvados, acquired on their travels. I would love to have a conversation with them now. God bless them.

Carry on.

Same sort of thing.....I think the greatest consumption of Benedictine Liqeur outside France is (still) in the Burnley area, a taste first acquired by local WW1 veterans.

Back on topic, my dad used to say " If you can't fight, wear a big hat". though I'm not sure of its' derivation or what it means & it was usually easier to not bother asking.

• Members

Carry on.

Love stuff like this. Cheers Zulu.

Not religious but, if there is a God, may he bless them as you say.