Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Nfl

clown

On 04/02/2020 at 01:08, bolty58 said:

Sorry Micky - you are miles out there. It is played globally and has been since the 70's/80's. There is even a league here in Perth.

When I was playing for the Bolton Braves, a Manchester derby between the Spartans and the Allstars was pulling 5 digit crowds.

The days of the London Ravens and London Monarchs playing in front of very large crowds all over Europe was also around that time.

It is played to a pretty decent standard in universities over here - the prem North and the Prem South take it very seriously - my son is a quarterback and they do 2 two hour training sessions on the field and a 2 hour classroom session studying film every week. At the university of Birmingham they are the best funded society.

Xplosion is the biggest event at the university of Birmingham where about 4-5k of supporters turn out to watch - you can check it out on youtube.

There are also academies over hereĀ  - my lad played at Filton in Bristol last week. Filton regularly send kids to American universites on scholarships and there were a few americans and europeans playing for them. One lad has just made it to the CFL.

The NFL have also just set up an academy in London but from what I know that is just a bit of a sham. Neil Reynolds lad goes there.

Not that it's the same but there's a National league for the non-contact version over here as well, I play in it, it'sĀ a good time. Cheaper and safer alternative whilst still tactically having a similar feel.Ā 

I love the sport on the whole and have for years now, I'd play it at the highest level I could if it wasn't so expensive to kit up and insure, the safety side of things does concern me as well to be fair. I don't fancy weekly concussions.Ā 

On 03/02/2020 at 19:34, frank_spencer said:

Unless they rebrand as the London monarchs complete with similar jerseys and logo.

Then I may be tempted

I'm all for a London team and Jacksonville obviously makes the most sense to be the relocated team, lots to work out for the league logistically though before any headway is made. I imagine players will have a lot to say about it, especially considering ones currently on the team or that will inevitably being drafted will have a lot to say about relocating to another country, the tax implications and the travel involved for the visiting teams.Ā 

Would definitely need a rebrand though, Jaguars ain't gunna fly with me, Monarchs maybe or the Madden game suggests Black Knights which I prefer but still wouldn't be ideal. Something like Knights, Spitfires or maybe something nautical would get my vote.Ā 

3 hours ago, Anderson said:

I'm all for a London team and Jacksonville obviously makes the most sense to be the relocated team, lots to work out for the league logistically though before any headway is made. I imagine players will have a lot to say about it, especially considering ones currently on the team or that will inevitably being drafted will have a lot to say about relocating to another country, the tax implications and the travel involved for the visiting teams.Ā 

Would definitely need a rebrand though, Jaguars ain't gunna fly with me, Monarchs maybe or the Madden game suggests Black Knights which I prefer but still wouldn't be ideal. Something like Knights, Spitfires or maybe something nautical would get my vote.Ā 

I honestly wouldn't care what they call it - based in London it would have no more relevance to me than any other team. Ive been a Dolphins fan for nearly 40 years and if we played the London Beefeaters or whatever they would be called I would still want to beat them

23 minutes ago, Newton White said:

I honestly wouldn't care what they call it - based in London it would have no more relevance to me than any other team. Ive been a Dolphins fan for nearly 40 years and if we played the London Beefeaters or whatever they would be called I would still want to beat them

That's fair, I don't know how I'd react to them, been a Jets fan nearly 10 years now but I think a London team would probably have a soft spot with me and I'd be happy going down there to watch their games, even more so if it was a Jets game.

Ā 

Likely for me at least though that they would be playingĀ the Jets as there'd be some sort of Division reshuffle, probably with your team swapping with them into the South.Ā 

20 minutes ago, boltondiver said:

Baseball and NFL are both pretty crap. Basketball is ok

Went to an Atlanta Hawks basketball game. The 1st 3 quarters were meaningless last quarter was entertaining enough but won't be rushing back.

Baseball like cricket is just an excuse for a drinking sesh.

Edited by frank_spencer

• Members
16 hours ago, frank_spencer said:

J-lo not so much but Shakira is tremendous.

I do love the fact the yank prudes have been in outrage over the show. Both for it being too sexual and too political.

J Lo at 50 years old is phenomenal. We agree on the other one.

• Members
15 hours ago, Newton White said:

It is played to a pretty decent standard in universities over here - the prem North and the Prem South take it very seriously - my son is a quarterback and they do 2 two hour training sessions on the field and a 2 hour classroom session studying film every week. At the university of Birmingham they are the best funded society.

Xplosion is the biggest event at the university of Birmingham where about 4-5k of supporters turn out to watch - you can check it out on youtube.

There are also academies over hereĀ  - my lad played at Filton in Bristol last week. Filton regularly send kids to American universites on scholarships and there were a few americans and europeans playing for them. One lad has just made it to the CFL.

The NFL have also just set up an academy in London but from what I know that is just a bit of a sham. Neil Reynolds lad goes there.

Nice one mate. Good luck to your lad. I played Middle Linebacker for the Braves and the short lived Westhoughton Greyhounds (not for my abilities to commit GBH I might add - I did seem to have a knack of intercepting passes). One of the most enjoyable times of my amateur sporting career. Played a lot of association football of course but playing defence at American Football is a lot of fun. We had some right nutjobs in our defence. A foaming at the mouth psycho DE we christened 'Jaws'; aĀ Centre called 'Monster' for obvious reasons; a FS nicknamed 'Ghost' for his uncanny ability to 'sneak up' on WR's and RB's and cream them (they never seemed to see him coming) and an absolute loon we recruited from Leigh Razorbacks who constantly had the dressing room in fits of laughter. First Budweiser LeagueĀ game we played at Grundy Hill we were annihilated by the Glasgow Diamonds (66-0!) but improved week on week and by the end of the season had earned respect - especially our defence.

Shame it all turned to shit when Boltons famous Cruiserweight decided to pull the pin. Think the coach (Sam Spodofora) went back to NY.

Glad to hear that it is still alive and kicking and being played around the country.

• Members
10 minutes ago, Newton White said:

I also played fullback for a bit right at the start of the Braves when Dave Batty was head coach. Work stopped me from playing saying they wouldn't pay me if I got injured playing a 'stupid' sport

Remember Dave but I was recruited once they had the American coach in place. Think Dave became an RB?

• Site Supporter
21 minutes ago, bolty58 said:

Remember Dave but I was recruited once they had the American coach in place. Think Dave became an RB?

Of all the positions there are, RB has to be the most mental. Knowingly running atĀ full pelt into 80 stone of lads who want to smash you to a pulp. Not wired up right.

• Members
16 hours ago, Spider said:

Of all the positions there are, RB has to be the most mental. Knowingly running atĀ full pelt into 80 stone of lads who want to smash you to a pulp. Not wired up right.

I have told this story before (did I ever tell you lot about Con Boutsianos?) but we had a lad come along to give the game a try at the Braves. You may remember the name - LB? Anyway, tough, block shaped and fit bugger who had played RL at a decent amateur level for years.

Coach immediately identified him as a potential RB and asked him to go and give it a go in a scrimmage at training.Ā 

(Wigan accent) "Tha's blown 'em lad if tha'Ā thinks I need all o' that poncy fucking padding and helmet"

(NY accent) "OK maaan. Good luck"

One scrimmage later, he staggered off the pitch dazed, blood coming from nostrils and ears andĀ said "I will have them pads". Became our superstar and was eventuallyĀ purloined by one of the two Manchester big boys - think it was the Spartans - the Allstars took three others.

You are correct of course - KO and punt returners have to be mad, brave, quick and good. I was in both the punt return and KO return defences and you are right - the mentality was a bit 'hunt down and kill'.

Edited by bolty58

• Members

I have a file somewhere with newspaper cuttings, match programmes etc. from the early days of the Budweiser League in our town but I'll be fucked if I can find it.

Did find this today byĀ theĀ owner ofĀ The Braves (who used to make us do press ups on the knuckles!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkNCc4LUbPQ

The BEN used to report on the games with photo's etc. and for a short while, I used to contribute toĀ a column for them for the short lived Westhoughton Greyhounds AFC.

Any of you fine fellows any ideas on how archives at the BEN might be accessed to find some of this stuff?

• Members
On 03/02/2020 at 23:23, MickyD said:

While it may be watched a bit all over the world it is played (almost exclusively) in USA. For that reason, I reckon I'm right with my point that only one country gives a flying fuck about it.

Ā 

Ā 

Just for you mate.

http://ninetynineyards.com/2019/06/03/go-tell-the-manchester-spartans/

I also played a few games for a team called the Manchester Sabres who also had an American Coach and defensive captain. I thought they became the Manchester Heroes but this article suggests otherwise.

Been around a while mate - certainly being played in the NW since the mid 80's.

• Members
On 06/02/2020 at 16:02, Newton White said:

I also played fullback for a bit right at the start of the Braves when Dave Batty was head coach. Work stopped me from playing saying they wouldn't pay me if I got injured playing a 'stupid' sport

Found a photo from the BEN where Alex Penarski is signing the contract to use Grundy Hill for home matches. Few players there and I am fairly sure Dave Batty is on there wearing no. 30 (or have I got my wires crossed?).Ā You seen that one mate - it is on the BN website photsearch?Ā Just type in 'Alex Penarski'.