Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

I agree with the treat or one off thing but people who can't cook should learn how to cook. It's not hard to put that bit of effort in.

You can knock up a bolognaise from scratch in the time it takes to chop an onion and open a tin of tomatoes.

I thought "don't knock it 'til..." and tried this recipe tonight, well, if the food snobs think a bowl of chopped onion and canned toms makes a fine meal then they're welcome to it... :(

Probably have chips, cheese and donnermeat later as I'm still starving too.

I agree with the treat or one off thing but people who can't cook should learn how to cook. It's not hard to put that bit of effort in.

You can knock up a bolognaise from scratch in the time it takes to chop an onion and open a tin of tomatoes.

I thought "don't knock it 'til..." and tried this recipe tonight, well, if the food snobs think a bowl of chopped onion and canned toms makes a fine meal then they're welcome to it... :(

Probably have chips, cheese and donnermeat later as I'm still starving too.

With aldi I'm surprised at that. It's the only supermarket I've bought stuff like veg, fruit and onions from only to get them home and find out they're going off.

Not every time but enough to make me stop buying then from there

I'd hazard a guess it's bagged? Probably has been for a month. The fresh stuff you pick yourself from Aldi and lidl is as good as we'd find in today's retail climate.

Gotta love a bit of wanderersways snobbery.

Coz everyone has the time and energy to get all the veg from a greengrocers and meat from a butchers or get to the market on a market day.

Heaven forbid folk like to let their kids have a meal from a cafe from time to time.

Working folk yeah, time is tight. But not impossible.

Folk sat at home powersmoking over jeremy kyle, zero excuse.

Is it snobbery to suggest drinking a bottle of vodka every night and smoking 60 Bensons a day isn't really the best health choice one could make?

• Site Supporter

ironically my wife took our eldest to Morrisons about that time on Monday whilst in her school uniform.. 

Daughter has a Monday treat that she spends an afternoon of Mummy Daughter time and lil un picks where they go, its normally a cafe.. That's how she rolls...

it would appear that if you sit your kids in front of a telly feeding them pizza and pot noodles.. you're lazy..

it would appear that if you made a dedicated effort to spend time with your kids in a fairly decent cafe.. you're lazy..

ironically my wife took our eldest to Morrisons about that time on Monday whilst in her school uniform.. 

Daughter has a Monday treat that she spends an afternoon of Mummy Daughter time and lil un picks where they go, its normally a cafe.. That's how she rolls...

it would appear that if you sit your kids in front of a telly feeding them pizza and pot noodles.. you're lazy..

it would appear that if you made a dedicated effort to spend time with your kids in a fairly decent cafe.. you're lazy..

Your missus should have used that time spent with miss swanny to make a 3 course meal using ingredients not sourced from a supermarket. 

we can't have kids eating things they enjoy

• Site Supporter

Food snobbery is something that gets to me, possibly because my kids go to Johnson Fold school so I see and hear of the fucking struggles some people have to go through constantly.

I get all my meat for the week from our local butchers in a weekly pack for 40 quid.  I think its fucking excellent value for money but surely thats a perspective thing.  What if my entire weekly food budget was 40 quid, would it be responsible of me to spunk the fucking lot on salt and pepper chicken breasts?

Dole is £77 a week for a couple (I think) and when that has to buy absolutely everything how the fuck can people buy fresh and risk things going off when Syds down the road will deliver 3 fucking huge pizzas that will feed you for 3 days for 12 pound?

I heard all the parents excited for Jamie Olivers new program a while back, he was going to show them how you can cook properly on a shoe string budget, they were all ready to tune in, the kids were going to eat properly for the first time in yonks.  They all turned off within 5 minutes as Jamies shoe string budget kicked off with buying a 20 quid shoulder of lamb that you may even be able to use for dinners the following day if theres any leftovers. 

My kids get a McDonalds every Friday, just because they are good kids and they deserve it.  Do I worry about them getting fat?  Do I fuck because Monday is football, Tuesday is Brownies/Beavers, Wednesday is swimming and Thursday is Gymnastics.  However that lot for 3 kids comes in at probably over a ton a month.  I'm absofuckinglutley sure their class mates would love to do all the stuff they do but again, what it cost me for extra curricular activities is 2/3 weeks fucking food budget for some.

So in summery, if you can spend more a week on class A's than a family of 4 can spend on food you cant in any way start to judge.

Regarding those forced to subsist off Syd's pizzas, I picked up a bit of chorizo this morning for a quid, a can of anchovies 59p, and an onion and handful of fresh tomatoes for 80p...

I'll dice the lot and saute in olive oil (adding some smoked paprika, pepper and pinch of dried chillies) with a bit of wild garlic from the garden, I'll chuck in some aborio rice and leftover clarified stock from Sunday's chicken carcass, a bit of balsamic and maybe a drop of honey. Get a head of broccoli for a quid and steam that - dig out that past it's best ciabatta and freshen it up in the oven with some freeze dried basil from the larder, couple of cloves of garlic and a glug of olive oil...

That's a superb meal for four (maybe five?) for £3.29 - just over 75p a head. One could even add a modestly priced half bottle of wine (screwtop, save half) and it'd still be cheaper than takeout, probably

• Moderators

I don't really give a fuck what anyone else eats as it's none of my business

been doing a lot of stuff from scratch recently from that joe wicks lean in 15 book, and it's a bit more expensive to get stuff in, but it's quick and far nicer, so am enjoying it

not always been like that, during my stoner years, I'd eat donner meat and chips on a regular basis - at one point after going in 3 nights in a row even the kebab shop owner told me i need to start thinking about eating better

anyway

eat what you want, I don't care

Regarding those forced to subsist off Syd's pizzas, I picked up a bit of chorizo this morning for a quid, a can of anchovies 59p, and an onion and handful of fresh tomatoes for 80p...

I'll dice the lot and saute in olive oil (adding some smoked paprika, pepper and pinch of dried chillies) with a bit of wild garlic from the garden, I'll chuck in some aborio rice and leftover clarified stock from Sunday's chicken carcass, a bit of balsamic and maybe a drop of honey. Get a head of broccoli for a quid and steam that - dig out that past it's best ciabatta and freshen it up in the oven with some freeze dried basil from the larder, couple of cloves of garlic and a glug of olive oil...

That's a superb meal for four (maybe five?) for £3.29 - just over 75p a head. One could even add a modestly priced half bottle of wine (screwtop, save half) and it'd still be cheaper than takeout, probably

No doubt be less than a takeout. The chorizo, anchovies, onion and tomatoes cost bugger all then you go and spoil it with the olive oil, smoked paprika, pepper, dried chillies, wild garlic, aborio rice, clarified stock, balsamic, honey, broccoli, ciabatta, dried basil, cloves of garlic you already have in!

Wild guess, not the sort of things those who tell their kids to call in to shite bar every day after school for a kebab will have in their larder, past it's best or not!

• Moderators

that sounds like shite portions for 4 or 5

4 or 5 what?

No doubt be less than a takeout. The chorizo, anchovies, onion and tomatoes cost bugger all then you go and spoil it with the olive oil, smoked paprika, pepper, dried chillies, wild garlic, aborio rice, clarified stock, balsamic, honey, broccoli, ciabatta, dried basil, cloves of garlic you already have in!

Wild guess, not the sort of things those who tell their kids to call in to shite bar every day after school for a kebab will have in their larder, past it's best or not!

They'd have to forgoe the vino then, unless they could raid the neighbour's larders...

And Zico, two adults and two or three children.

My 20 month old would rather smear the walls and dog with what's put in front of him than eat it.

I'm hardly going to slow cook him a shoulder of lamb with rosemary potatoes glazed in duck fat.

If we are having something he'd rather throw on the floor then I'm sorry it's Heinz Spaghetti and Sausage all the way.

Nowt to do with money, ease or whatever bullshit sentiment folk can throw at it.

• Moderators

I heard all the parents excited for Jamie Olivers new program a while back, he was going to show them how you can cook properly on a shoe string budget, they were all ready to tune in, the kids were going to eat properly for the first time in yonks.

You can get a fucking massive bag of carrots for under a quid, they last for weeks. You can eat them raw, cooked sliced or mashed. How much is a sack of potatoes/load of pasta and a giant bag of frozen veg? Next to fuck all. You can chuck in whatever meat/fish is on offer, job done. You don't need Jamie Oliver to tell you that, surely?