Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

Glad i wasn't hallucinating today

You weren't - people just like fucking moaning. The same people probably bang on about how much they hate hipsters whilst at the same time moaning that Bolton TC isn't full of hipster type shops.

Bolton is what it is. It's always had its fair share of scrotes - but I think town is as good as its been for a long while.

And if you don't like homeless people - get behind Andy Burnham's drive to improve things.

Glad i wasn't hallucinating today

Sorry but I don't share your enthusiasm. The new interchange is certainly a sight but I can't see what justifies that level of spending

As for Newport street

Bookies

Pound shops

Bright house

Shite shops

Full of scumbags kicking about.

Used to be a pleasure to go into town

Agreed the vaults are a welcome addition and the market place is a half decent place now but overall it's not a nice place still and won't be for a long long time if ever.

Sorry but I don't share your enthusiasm. The new interchange is certainly a sight but I can't see what justifies that level of spending

As for Newport street

Bookies

Pound shops

Bright house

Shite shops

Full of scumbags kicking about.

Used to be a pleasure to go into town

Agreed the vaults are a welcome addition and the market place is a half decent place now but overall it's not a nice place still and won't be for a long long time if ever.

You are aware that bookies, pound shops and cheap shops dominate high streets in all town centres across the country?

As for scumbags kicking about there is nowhere on newport street at the moment to kick about.

Bolton is no different in that aspect, if the people of bolton shopped in high end shops then that would be whats there but they dont so cheap low margin retail is what grows.

The retail landscape of a town reflects its residents demographics and shopping patterns. the fact is Bolton is a working class town with a lower income so the shops in the town reflect that.

Having not been in the town centre for a long time i'm impressed with what i saw today. The owners of the Market place have done a belting job, the council organising events in Victoria square of a weekend can only help generate foot fall.

Glad to see newport street getting a much needed face lift, the works at the new interchange and surrounding areas will boost that side of town too.

Is bolon TC perfect? no

Has it imoroved since i last visited? definately.

Everybody has their own opinion. I may have a different one but it is still a valid one.

I may be fortunate to live in Edinburgh where the centre has no pound shops or discount stores but admittedly has bookies.

I am merely saying I find it a real disappointment what it has become

Everybody has their own opinion. I may have a different one but it is still a valid one.

I may be fortunate to live in Edinburgh where the centre has no pound shops or discount stores but admittedly has bookies.

We all agree that it's gone downhill and like many other towns, it ain't what it used to be. Things are changing though and hopefully, it will be back to how it used to be.

A lot of the £ being spent in Bolton town centre 25 years ago is now going into tills at the Middlebrook. 25 years ago that was some fields near Tesco and a big roll factory. Put that spendback in the town centre and it would be a different picture, the same could be said if many places in the U.K.

Harsh to compare a provincial town with a Capital city. I love Edinburgh though, its a great city.

• 2 months later...

Housing has been planned on church warf since the recession.

housing was also planned for Manchester road college and Chorley street on the pay and display car parks

The aim is to break the ring of industrial land blocking in the town centre.

Was in town on monday and it was quite nice, more work certainly needed especially in Crompton Place and Oxford Street (the bit from victoria square to maccies)

£100 million Bolton Council are getting a Loan for

with £900 million coming from Private investment who in there right mind would invest in Bolton

more Pie in the sky

There was plenty lined up before the recession.

The company that now owns the Market Place has spent a fortune.

Why wouldn't they invest in Bolton?

Somewhere as desperate for investment is the best place for them tbh

£100 million Bolton Council are getting a Loan for

with £900 million coming from Private  investment  who in there right mind would invest in Bolton

Cliff points out that Bolton can be a good location for Manchester commuters.its not out of the question that cheap apartments/flats in Bolton town centre might rise in value especially if the crap train service can be sorted out.At the moment a flat in a grotty 70s tower block in Stretford sells for more money than many nicer flats in Bolton town centre.There is potentially money in property in Bolton town centre imo albeit as a Manchester commute location.

housing was also planned for Manchester road college and Chorley street on the pay and display car parks

The aim is to break the ring of industrial land blocking in the town centre.

I'd have thought Chorley St is one of the better routes into town as it is.David lloyd/that apartment complex on the infirmary site are nice at the top, there's apparantly a  trendy cafe   in one of the units opposite D lloyds and then towards the bottom some  decent enough flats have been built opposite the Lads club

Went round town getting a few bits and bobs last Sat. It was the busiest I've seen it in bit (might have been because of that Ironman shite, mind). It's slowly starting to look a bit less of a shithole I must admit. Unfortunately I didn't have enough time to go tramp counting.