Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Town Centre Latest

Smiley

Wasn't house of orchid always featured in pearl & Dean ads at cinema, and a generic Chinese restaurant was shown (probably all over the country) then at the end a cheap voice over would say House of Orchid, 5 minutes walk from this cinema.

Feel free to enter any Chinese restaurant in any town here,...........

Just now, Mannyroader said:

Nice one. The Kings Head pub next to Huddersfield railway station had Jimi as the King on the sign outside.

Jimi played the Odeon.

Sadly he is one of the great guitarist i new saw play.

The other i missed out on was Rory Gallagher.

12 hours ago, embankment said:

Jimi played the Odeon.

Sadly he is one of the great guitarist i new saw play.

The other i missed out on was Rory Gallagher.

My older half-brother used to go on about having seen him and I never believed him. He was a full on hippy massively in to Cat Stevens. Having googled Hendrix and Bolton Odeon I’m more inclined to believe him now

2 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Def Leppard played in Swan cellar in late 70s

I saw them supporting AC/DC at the Manc Apollo Oct 79 on the Highway To Hell Tour. They’d just released Getcha Rocks Off and were becoming big. Thought your post might be wrong but looking at their tour dates and set lists they played The Swan Sep 79. Rehearsal show I guess??

Yeah was a Sunday night.

I was also at that Apollo gig, Def Leppard were better than AC/DC that night.

Bon Scott died later that year i think.

Getcha rocks off was an EP that had been out a while, it was " Wasted" your thinking of that was just new out.

Edited by Whitestar
Spelling

8 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

I saw them supporting AC/DC at the Manc Apollo Oct 79 on the Highway To Hell Tour. They’d just released Getcha Rocks Off and were becoming big. Thought your post might be wrong but looking at their tour dates and set lists they played The Swan Sep 79. Rehearsal show I guess??

Also, see if you remember this.

Def Leppard at Manc Ardwick Apollo , supported by,,,

The Tigers of Pan Tang!

OMG, i was still at school then but can remember bunking off to get to MCR and walking from Victoria towards Apollo past Piccadilly station.

We called in at a pub near there must have been open early doors in them days as it was only about teatime , a down & out type went the bar for us and we sat in a corner supping carling black label lager, he said he would get our drinks if he could keep the whalley range???? , We didn't know WTF he meant so just agreed.

He then said " where you off to anyway?" We said see Def Lepp! ,. He then thought we'd said Jeff Beck and proceeded to sing hi ho silver lining.

Happy days.

10 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Also, see if you remember this.

Def Leppard at Manc Ardwick Apollo , supported by,,,

The Tigers of Pan Tang!

OMG, i was still at school then but can remember bunking off to get to MCR and walking from Victoria towards Apollo past Piccadilly station.

We called in at a pub near there must have been open early doors in them days as it was only about teatime , a down & out type went the bar for us and we sat in a corner supping carling black label lager, he said he would get our drinks if he could keep the whalley range???? , We didn't know WTF he meant so just agreed.

He then said " where you off to anyway?" We said see Def Lepp! ,. He then thought we'd said Jeff Beck and proceeded to sing hi ho silver lining.

Happy days.

Yep I was there. 

i went to the AC/DC gig with a lad called Alan P from Morris Green that @miamiwhite knows. Think I also went to the Def Leppard gig with him 

These were my years when I loved all loud, fast or edgy music. I’d just transitioned out of punk, was loving AC/DC and Motörhead but was sliding towards Ska and Reggae. Went to see Iron Maiden on their 1980 tour and thought fuck that. My short hair, Perry shirts and Levi’s were out of place. I moved on to The Specials, Madness, Misty In Roots and the like

Back on Town Centre topic. In those days Heavy Metal (Swan Cellar) and disco funk (Cinderella’s) dominated. Difficult to find Ska and reggae without travelling to Manc 

Was well into swan cellar from about age 14, Mick Quo went to school with my mate and he used to let us in for free even though it was only 10p i think in them days.

Anyway i kind of come off that scene just as the NWOBHM was getting going but i did enjoy the early def lep stuff before they got all American.

When i first started work circa 1980 it was mainly perry boys and the new romantic look was coming in that i really liked.

Tiffs in wigan was quite a cool scene for my age group around that time too.

12 hours ago, Whitestar said:

Yeah was a Sunday night.

I was also at that Apollo gig, Def Leppard were better than AC/DC that night.

Bon Scott died later that year i think.

Getcha rocks off was an EP that had been out a while, it was " Wasted" your thinking of that was just new out.

Got to disagree , no way were better than AC/DC that night. Bon Scott with Angus on his shoulders making his way through the fans is one of my favorite memorys of the Apollo.

Along with Richie Blackmore bouncing his guitar off the walls at a legendary Rainbow gig.

1 hour ago, Whitestar said:

went to the AC/DC gig with a lad called Alan P from Morris Green.

Did this lad go to deane school and his last name has another 5 letters after the P?

He went to Bolton School in 79 and may well have then moved to Deane. Yep 5 letters after the P that spell a certain cake-type delicacy popular in the North of England. His mum picked us up from the Apollo. Big mates with Ian F from Morris Green who went on to be a copper. Another family that miami knows well

15 minutes ago, embankment said:

Got to disagree , no way were better than AC/DC that night. Bon Scott with Angus on his shoulders making his way through the fans is one of my favorite memorys 

Until I saw The Specials in Belfast in 2009 I never thought that I’d be at a gig that beat that one. To this day I always thought that Angus was on the shoulders of a roadie. They went through the row about 3 rows behind us. It was during Bad Boy Boogie iirc but might have been Let There Be Rock? I “gifted” my tour programme and Highway To Hell Tour silk scarf, that I bought on the day, to my music mad youngest a few years ago. She loves them

20 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

He went to Bolton School in 79 and may well have then moved to Deane. Yep 5 letters after the P that spell a certain cake-type delicacy popular in the North of England. His mum picked us up from the Apollo. Big mates with Ian F from Morris Green who went on to be a copper. Another family that miami knows well

Alan Pscone? I think I know him.

20 hours ago, MancWanderer said:

Until I saw The Specials in Belfast in 2009 I never thought that I’d be at a gig that beat that one. To this day I always thought that Angus was on the shoulders of a roadie. They went through the row about 3 rows behind us. It was during Bad Boy Boogie iirc but might have been Let There Be Rock? I “gifted” my tour programme and Highway To Hell Tour silk scarf, that I bought on the day, to my music mad youngest a few years ago. She loves them

Al's in Adlington these days mate, saw him the other week. I see Ian F now and again as his parents live four doors from my mum's.  Ian is Vernon Kay's cousin. 

Will send a cracking pic later via email of us all from the 70's......don't put the fucker on here though please as my mum dressed me in a Rupert the Fucking Bear blazer 😂😂😂

19 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Al's in Adlington these days mate, saw him the other week. I see Ian F now and again as his parents live four doors from my mum's.  Ian is Vernon Kay's cousin. 

Will send a cracking pic later via email of us all from the 70's......don't put the fucker on here though please as my mum dressed me in a Rupert the Fucking Bear blazer 😂😂😂

Oh, that will definitely need posting.

• Moderators
35 minutes ago, miamiwhite said:

Send it me too