Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Drink

Didledee

I've never drank alcohol, just once or twice when I were younger like trying it out, but my dad did like a drink, too much in fact, you'd not know by looking at him though, well a few days ago I get told he's been found dead in a friends house.

He had asthma and was suffering with it and he said he'd go for a lie down and was told to knock on floor if he needed them, next thing a big thud and they tried to help him, ambulance took 30 mins to come apparently (Rishton Lane, Great lever) was alive on the way to the hospital but died shortly after arriving.

At first we were told it was suspected cardiac arrest/heart attack, me and my sister went to the mortuary at Bolton hospital, that was grim, nicely candle lit room and him just there, body covered completely up with just his face, since then was told it wasn't his heart, and that it was suspicious, then we get told it was down to his liver, summat about fatty tissue and it failing.

It was a reason why I never wanted to drink and I'm not saying it's wrong to drink at all, but I think he went too far and didn't stop.

Gutted I'll not speak to him again.

• Site Supporter

It's a really tough time losing your dad, four years nearly since I lost mine, also before time, and found out since a highly unpleasant story that I can't have out with him.

Make sure you talk to any one that will listen. Don't be embarrassed if anyone suggests berievement counseling.

You have my sympathies

A sad story. 

My Grandad died from Alcohol abuse so i can understand how you are feeling. Its an awful addiction, as alocohol is everywhere you turn. 

Whilst i love a good drink, i limit myself to twice a week. I never want to get into the habit of drinking daily. 

Sorry for your loss.

Sound advice! Sorry for you loss Dids, my sister went the same way just over two years ago at the age of 49 so I have every sympathy for you.

• Moderators

Drink is an evil drug, as addictive and destructive as anything else out there. Yet it's freely available, having a pint is a manly thing to do and being absolutely fucked the next day a source of amusement. Bullshit. RIP by the way.