Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Edinburgh.

leigh white

The Brass Monkey opposite the Festival Theatre is a great pub if you like real ale and good rock/indie music!

Our friends live in Stockbridge, so we spend a lot of time round there. Its a 5 minute bus ride from the town centre and has lots of great pubs and on a Sunday has a great food market, then you can clear your head with a stroll along Leith Walk. Really lovely - would recommend as a way to see a bit more of the city.

The Brass Monkey opposite the Festival Theatre is a great pub if you like real ale and good rock/indie music!

Our friends live in Stockbridge, so we spend a lot of time round there. Its a 5 minute bus ride from the town centre and has lots of great pubs and on a Sunday has a great food market, then you can clear your head with a stroll along Leith Walk. Really lovely - would recommend as a way to see a bit more of the city.

Thanks Crawley will check out the Brass Monkey its not far from where we are staying.

• 3 weeks later...

Got back yesterday. Didn't get to the Brass Monkey unfortunately but enjoyed the Stockbridge Tap.

Would also recommend:

The Rose St. Brewery - good selection of ales just at the back of Princes Street

The Oxford Bar - Traditional no frills old school pub, well kept ale. Favourite haunt of DI Rebus but does not make a big deal of it.

Panda and Sons - 'secret' cocktail bar disguised as a barbershop, large choice of cocktails, not the usual ones and   decent selection of lagers, though not much choice on the ales.

Mrs preferred the Oxford to the cocktail place much to my surprise. 

Got back yesterday. Didn't get to the Brass Monkey unfortunately but enjoyed the Stockbridge Tap.

Would also recommend:

The Rose St. Brewery - good selection of ales just at the back of Princes Street

The Oxford Bar - Traditional no frills old school pub, well kept ale. Favourite haunt of DI Rebus but does not make a big deal of it.

Panda and Sons - 'secret' cocktail bar disguised as a barbershop, large choice of cocktails, not the usual ones and   decent selection of lagers, though not much choice on the ales.

Mrs preferred the Oxford to the cocktail place much to my surprise. 

Glad you went to Stockbridge, it's a bit posh, but its nice to get out of the centre and the Tap is a lovely local.

A few steps from that is the best takeaway I've ever been in; booze, fags and pizza. Heavenly. 

• 6 months later...

Off there tomorrow. (didn't plan that well with the fixtures obviously). Got the youngest and niece in tow. Apart from the Castle - any other recommendations? Did the Mary Close thing last time I went - but wasn't that impressed.

Is Dean Village worth a visit (I see its not far from Stockbridge)

Off there tomorrow. (didn't plan that well with the fixtures obviously). Got the youngest and niece in tow. Apart from the Castle - any other recommendations? Did the Mary Close thing last time I went - but wasn't that impressed.

There's the Royal Yacht Britannia

I had a piss on there once in a toilet that wasn't a working toilet

I was hungover and sometimes needs must

I'm not sure if that is a first for royal property 

National Museum of Scotland is free to get in and will keep the kids occupied for hours.

National Museum of Scotland is free to get in and will keep the kids occupied for hours.

Never been before but went to Dynamic Earth in July - looks good for the kids http://www.dynamicearth.co.uk/visit/what-is-dynamic-earth

How about a burger here as well http://citycafeedinburgh.co.uk/ 

Should've said they are teens. If they can charge up their phones, take selfies and snapchat their mates.... they'll probably be content.

Edited by Smiley

Managed to find it and have a drink here. Great little place. Free bowls of popcorn and glasses of water. Like their style!!!