Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

George Best

Underpants

I watched Klinsmann once, as in I just watch him for 90 minutes. I've never seen a player work so hard, and I don't mean running 60 yards for fuck all. Worked the defence non-stop, like a better version of Anelka.

I watched him at O.T  during Euro '96, his pace over 50 yards was electric, the way he arched his runs to stay onside was faultless and like you say, his workrate was immense.Absolute class player imo

I can always remember George Best playing at Burnden for Fulham. At that time they had Rodney Marsh and Bobby Moore. Moore led his players from the field after he thought Fulham were on the wrong side of some strange refereeing decisions. Shortly after they returned a Bolton fan gave Rodney Marsh a handbag.

Today there are plenty of Best players around. Back in his day there was only him. Yes he was dynamite, a great player indeed. But I have seen JJO doing things on a pitch I have never seen, and still not seen in a competitive game.

There is a good few things back then that made it much harder, the game was so much more physichal pitches were poor, balls were heavier, however these days the best players from all over Europe play in the premier league, back then it was mainly home countries.

• Site Supporter

I can always remember George Best playing at Burnden for Fulham. At that time they had Rodney Marsh and Bobby Moore. Moore led his players from the field after he thought Fulham were on the wrong side of some strange refereeing decisions. Shortly after they returned a Bolton fan gave Rodney Marsh a handbag.

you are getting your games mixed up.

handbag was the 2-1 league game(marsh always had a downer on us on soccer saturday)

league cup game was when moore was sent off after mick walsh scored in the 300th minute of injury time.

Edited by victor meldrew

Today there are plenty of Best players around. Back in his day there was only him. Yes he was dynamite, a great player indeed. But I have seen JJO doing things on a pitch I have never seen, and still not seen in a competitive game.

I said this recently about the Frank Worthy goal. At the time nobody would have even thought about trying it, never mind doing it. Same with some stuff from George Best. Now every Tom Dick and Wozzname can do it, but then , no.