Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Administration?

Mounts Kipper

No. But it was nice. You can't deny that.

it was pretty good but we as fans cant be held responsible, every forum questions were asked about affording it but the same answer was wheeled out "we r very lucky to have Eddie Davis" well it seems now that no we werent actually Edited by plodwhite

We were in debt we couldn't handle before Davies arrived

We were in nowhere near the dire position we are in now. 

And it was the previous chairman & board who gave us Bruce Rioch and the Reebok for starters. And before you mention £60 million of debt (as opposed to £185 million?) that is not true either. Your beloved Eddie/Gartside  'took' the club and it worked for a time fair do's but the lack of planning post relegation has fucked us over big time. Could even be that Gartside and the others who ran it day to day have let ED down?

I thought we'd all agreed the debt is of complete irrelevance

The problem is the wage bill is higher than what we have coming in, the questions that need to be asked are.....

Why on earth did we sign Amos in the summer?

Why did we give Pratley a new deal?

What on earth where we thinking when we paid ALF's wages for 6 months last season?

Why get a real coup in like Lennon (at the time anyway) when there were much cheaper options like Jimmy Phillips?

The list goes on the further you go back

Think the answer is that everyone associated with the club from board down wanted us to invest in on field resources to avoid relegation and turn around our furtunes (including the fans).

However only a few people know the breakdown of the player contracts and projections for the accounts and they should have budgeted for us to be in line with projected income even if it meant certain relegation even before now.

However as supporters you have to be honest with yourself and say if you'd have been happy if the club pulled the plug a couple of years back and stopped investing. It's easy to say yes now but at the time there would have been uproar.

• Site Supporter

It could well be that PG has let Ed down. I've been told that PG tended to operate in an autocratic manner, surrounding himself with yes-men. Despite this, his motives were purely for the good of the club, it's the many mistakes an an unwillingness to take advice has cost us.

As for spending big whilst in the premiere league, we were hardly likely to say 'no thanks Ed'.

Sadly it's gone tits up post relegation.

Don't quite understand the personal vilification of folk who tried to do something special for the club; yes its gone badly wrong but it was good while it lasted. We gambled and ultimately lost, irresponsible and reckless- absolutely, but we were happy enough at the time.

There will still be a club in one form or another once this gets sorted, and having been to places like Chester, Scarborough, Orient, Carlisle, Dean Court, the Vetch etc in the eighties, it doesn't actually matter what league you're in.

So long as there's a team in white shirts there's still something for fans to do on a Saturday

I thought we'd all agreed the debt is of complete irrelevance

The problem is the wage bill is higher than what we have coming in, the questions that need to be asked are.....

Why on earth did we sign Amos in the summer?

Why did we give Pratley a new deal?

What on earth where we thinking when we paid ALF's wages for 6 months last season?

Why get a real coup in like Lennon (at the time anyway) when there were much cheaper options like Jimmy Phillips?

The list goes on the further you go back

Think the answer is that everyone associated with the club from board down wanted us to invest in on field resources to avoid relegation and turn around our furtunes (including the fans).

However only a few people know the breakdown of the player contracts and projections for the accounts and they should have budgeted for us to be in line with projected income even if it meant certain relegation even before now.

However as supporters you have to be honest with yourself and say if you'd have been happy if the club pulled the plug a couple of years back and stopped investing. It's easy to say yes now but at the time there would have been uproar.

In summary..............

What was the plan?

I guess the hope was to get back in the Prem and sell up

I beg to differ. Did you not enjoy the glory days and the bragging rights?

Yes, I did. But that wasn't what you said. Your initial post was "it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all".

I'd say it isn't.

If you really want to talk in cliches, then how about "if I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor".

Thing is we last played in Europe in 2007/08. Upto that point I understand our over spending.

What I can not get my head round is that the we are losing about £250k per week running costs now, with a team that is bottom of the championship.

It is not about the 'glory' days 7 years ago it is about contracts that have been given out since. We seem to be paying well over the odds for players as other similar sized clubs are not running up debt in the way we are.

Players like Medo are sat there contributing nothing to the club but getting paid...why ?

We signed players in the summer who are now not playing...why ?

I get some deals do nor work out but would love to know how much of the £250k per week we are losing is going to players who never feature. All along we were told that players contracts protected us if we got relegated, clearly this was bollocks.

In terms of blame it is impossible without knowing the instructions from above, if the FD raised the issue of over spending but was told 'it is ok Eddie will cover it' then they are not to blame, but if they just ignored it they should be shot.

I know the nature of discussion forums mean that people will speculate but it really is pointless.

The strange idea is that because people enjoyed the good days that can not bemoan the state we are now in. The custodians of the club are responsible for looking after the money, in my life time I never dreamt I would see us play in Europe, get a result at Bayern, beat United in the Premier League, top the premier league etc etc.

At the time it all started we had a manager who was doing things differently and it was working, we had owners who were Bolton fans with the club in the hearts. 

We did not make massive expensive signings in terms of fees, we seemed to rescue players whose careers were floundering (jay-jay, yours, campo, SKD) the fact we were then doling out massive contracts to journeyman players and this has seemingly continued is where we have fucked up.

• Site Supporter

Yes, I did. But that wasn't what you said. Your initial post was "it's better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all".

I'd say it isn't.

If you really want to talk in cliches, then how about "if I hadn't seen such riches, I could live with being poor".

Well, there you go then. You wouldn't have had those times to enjoy if it wasn't for ED and PG.

I'd say it isn't.

Oh sit down

• Moderators

Thing is we last played in Europe in 2007/08. Upto that point I understand our over spending.

What I can not get my head round is that the we are losing about £250k per week running costs now, with a team that is bottom of the championship.

It is not about the 'glory' days 7 years ago it is about contracts that have been given out since. We seem to be paying well over the odds for players as other similar sized clubs are not running up debt in the way we are.

Players like Medo are sat there contributing nothing to the club but getting paid...why ?

I get some deals do nor work out but would love to know how much of the £250k per week we are losing is going to players who never feature. All along we were told that players contracts protected us if we got relegated, clearly this was bollocks.

In terms of blame it is impossible without knowing the instructions from above, if the FD raised the issue of over spending but was told 'it is ok Eddie will cover it' then they are not to blame, but if they just ignored it they should be shot.

I know the nature of discussion forums mean that people will speculate but it really is pointless.

The strange idea is that because people enjoyed the good days that can not bemoan the state we are now in. The custodians of the club are responsible for looking after the money, in my life time I never dreamt I would see us play in Europe, get a result at Bayern, beat United in the Premier League, top the premier league etc etc.

At the time it all started we had a manager who was doing things differently and it was working, we had owners who were Bolton fans with the club in the hearts. 

We did not make massive expensive signings in terms of fees, we seemed to rescue players whose careers were floundering (jay-jay, yours, campo, SKD) the fact we were then doling out massive contracts to journeyman players and this has seemingly continued is where we have fucked up.

Tyronne Mears on 20k was the beginning of the end

been so many bad, highly paid signings since, in both this league and the PL, would be interesting to know how much the likes of Baptiste with his signing on fee have cost us.

At the time it all started we had a manager who was doing things differently and it was working, we had owners who were Bolton fans with the club in the hearts.

Bang on.

Folk seen to have this crazy notion that we are now paying the price for living beyond our means in the so called glory days.

It's fucking bollocks. We are paying the price for mistake after mistake by the owner,board and chairman. Massive contracts headed out left right and centre and no plan b after non promotion.

This isn't about big Sams unsubstanable tenure. It's about spending ridiculous amounts of cash on dogshit players and managers right up until halfway through freedmans tenure.

Fuck the glory years. They are long gone, we achieved fuck all and pissed anything we came away with up the wall ever since.

I know playing the blame game now won't change a thing. We need accept it and move on. What pisses me off is people on here continually defending the in defendable. They are/were in charge. They made bad decision after bad decision. The club I love is a laughing stock, a fuckin joke. Who ever made those terrible decisions is at fault. They put us where we are. That is a fucking fact!