Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Good Chippys And Takeaways

embankment

Local chippy changed hands this week (Wingate's Chippy). Always been a proper English ,run by locals.

Just been for my usual. And it was good.

Got me thinking about others I have enjoyed over the years.

Bolton Supper Bar ( chip barn before hitting Scamps )

Sou's Deane Road.Only call every now and then these days . But immediately get transported back to my teams.( still cracking grub)

Bald Affro's Deane Church lane. Best fish barns ever.

Charlie's Bolton rd westhoughton.

Favorite Indian . Balti Taste ,market st.

Edited by embankment

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As far as Chinese takeaways go, nothing will come close to Mandarin in Leigh, though it's a damn fine chippy in it's own right. Been open for at least 20 years; the queues were so big from their old shop that they spilled out in to the road, so they moved a few doors down in to a former conservatory showroom so that they could fit everyone in.

I also have three 'proper' chippies within a couple of hundred yards. It's a miracle I don't weigh 30 stone.

As far as Chinese takeaways go, nothing will come close to Mandarin in Leigh, though it's a damn fine chippy in it's own right. Been open for at least 20 years; the queues were so big from their old shop that they spilled out in to the road, so they moved a few doors down in to a former conservatory showroom so that they could fit everyone in.

Do they deliver? We live a few miles

I also have three 'proper' chippies within a couple of hundred yards. It's a miracle I don't weigh 30 stone.

Any chance of posting Mandarin's menu on here? I drive past there most days and I haven't got a menu. (can't find one online)

• Moderators

In one of those at 2.58pm, headcount, we've just got enough chips... Ani at the front loudly asks for "12 portions of chips please". Or ey!!!

Me, Happy House and Spice Island on TMR, Bradshaw Tandoori or Paul Moulden's chippy, plus Baci do takeout.

Bolton supper bar from 1976 is the only one needed to be mentioned. 

what u young uns need to appreciate is there was fuck all else choice at either 11:30pm or 2:30pm after pubs or clubs closing respectively. There where "indians" but they were rank and most lads ordered chicken n chips or steak n chips when entering said establishments. Really they where just places to get a pint of larger after 2pm.

Anyhow that is all.

Will have to try the Mandarin then, what road ?

Bolton supper bar from 1976 is the only one needed to be mentioned.

what u young uns need to appreciate is there was fuck all else choice at either 11:30pm or 2:30pm after pubs or clubs closing respectively. There where "indians" but they were rank and most lads ordered chicken n chips or steak n chips when entering said establishments. Really they where just places to get a pint of larger after 2pm.

Anyhow that is all.

That sounds more like 1066 when Harold was about, never mind 1976!

That sounds more like 1066 when Harold was about, never mind 1976!

choice wuz limited. buses stopped running at 10:30pm or 11pm and Moor lane was not unlike Hastings. When in a queue you could be asked:

"who u looking at?"

"Don't you walk my path!"

"Did you spill my pint in that last pub?"

"what did you say?"

"I'm not havin that u basturd"

In one of those at 2.58pm, headcount, we've just got enough chips... Ani at the front loudly asks for "12 portions of chips please". Or ey!!!

Me, Happy House and Spice Island on TMR, Bradshaw Tandoori or Paul Moulden's chippy, plus Baci do takeout.

I must have been hungry or maybe the Scouse with had rubbed off.

Chippy surely our posters gaff in Horwich gets a mention ?