Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Wanderers Superstitions

Tonge moor green jacket

• Site Supporter

For a good while when we were going well I'd never wear any wanderers apparel except on match day. Seemed to work.

Recently started wearing a Bolton hat regularly, as much as a show of faith, and we've got seven points from nine.

Thus it will continue.

Anyone else have strange football superstitions?

Never mind Johnny Evans.

Our demise as a football club can be traced to one earth shattering instance in our recent history.

The day my coat was stolen.

The same coat that contained all my lucky ticket stubs.

I reckon a Leicester fan nicked it.

Edited by gonzo

Hope there are no men in White Coats within the WW fraternity as I am leaving myself open to be sectioned but here goes:

I always wear the same undies on Home match days (doesnt apply for away games) - I dont wear the same pair at other times.

I apply underarm deodourant in the same manner. 

I pull my replica shirt over my head, kiss the badge twice, before putting my arms into the armholes.  

I travel on the 125 bus to Horwich and must not see the outside of the pub from the bus so look away or ensure I am on the stairs before alighting so I cannot view the pub.

Incidentally I am not in the slightest bit superstitious aside from pre football.

Oh and i dont ever attend a match sober.  

In the Phil Neal 23 match unbeaten days I had to buy a packet of Hob Nobs and packet of Juicy Fruit from the Welcome Store on Radcliffe Road/Long Lane in Darcy Lever on my way to the game and sit in the same seat in the Burnden Paddock. Ironically it was Brighton in their salmon coloured strip what put a end to that run.

Still got me old scarf from 1977 and it only gets washed when we get promoted. It currently has all manner of piss, shit, ale, blood and puke engrained on it from UEFA trips.

I washed it in 1993 after getting back from the Preston game (living in Soton at the time) and that was akin to the Chernobyl clear up.