Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Helsinki

Big City Girl

A few nice buildings to stare at. A few decent bars and restaurants. As per usual, the Irish bars have the entertainment.

Use Airbnb for reasonably priced accommodation - hotels expensive.

Hop-on hop-off probably worth doing.

A boat trip to the island fortress is worth doing.

Get the ferry to Tallinn!

Ateljee bar from the top of Hotel Torni. Done that on both my visits. Good views.

There is a side street with about 5-6 bars that all seem to mingle into one another. Everybody just spills into the street and dances. The street is covered as well. Was pretty decent place later at night. Reminded me of The Swan!

http://www.visitfinland.com/article/helsinki-nightlife/

Edited by Smiley

I've been 10 times, got a mate that lives there. The esplanade is nice in summer, as is the island fort Suomelina. The street smiley mentioned is near the esplanade. Molly's have good bands on.

It's pricey so take plenty Euros.

Nice city, the locals like the English, enjoy.

I've been 10 times, got a mate that lives there. The esplanade is nice in summer, as is the island fort Suomelina. The street smiley mentioned is near the esplanade. Molly's have good bands on.

What is the covered street called Jeep? I tried Googling the other day?

Good call about Molly's. Definitely on a Friday night.

As has been pointed out, most of Helsinki and the adjoining cities of Vantaa and Espoo are very expensive for drinks.The Sörnäinen district, 3 stops north on the metro from the central railway station has some cheaper bars. It's possible to find a beer for around €3.50, even the more expensive ones should be cheaper than the centre of town.Plenty of young people hang around there but also a fair amount of local drunks and colourful characters,although I've never been too bothered by them. If Big City Girl is going to the Flow Festival, that is pretty close to there too. 

The recently opened railway link now gives more options for travelling from the airport into the City too.