Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

E U Deal Done

no balls

Where I am;

I'd rather we had the opportunity to govern ourselves again.

There was a good guy ont radio yesterday, looking at it from 4 perspectives; financial, social, political and emotional.

Neil Woodford, the leading fund manager, has researched the financial, which shows that there will be little net effect either way (winners and losers, probably)

Socially and politically, we really could do without much of the interference, in my view.

So, it's down to emotions, for me, and I'm British, not european; we can be great on our own again, so out for me. But, if we stay in, it'll be OK.

Interesting, I have posted on here before that Neil Woodford should run the country, always interested in what he has to say.

Having said that you have to worry that no one knows what Brexit looks like, it is one hell of a gamble to take.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/comment/article-3451621/Neil-Woodford-lays-economics-Brexit.html

£11bn a year it costs us

Ok so £11b devided by 64m is what £166 for every man women and child per year

Not sure how that gets the cost of the average family up to £1100 unless the average family has 7 people in it (which I doubt)

£166 a year is what £14 a month for every man women and child

Very difficult to calculate the benefit of that £16 a month granted

I'm still in based on the cost

Edited by birch-chorley

Ok so £11b devided by 64m is what £166 for every man women and child per year

Not sure how that gets the cost of the average family up to £1100 unless the average family has 7 people in it (which I doubt)

£166 a year is what £14 a month for every man women and child

Very difficult to calculate the benefit of that £16 a month granted

I'm still in based on the cost

Every man woman and child doesn't pay though so 64 million is an exaggeration.

It is less than half of that who will pay.

I'm undecided...

Broadly, i'm out......on the issue of immigration, migrants' benefits & interference in internal affairs,

but, i'm in....because i think we are more secure being part of the larger group,  we are in a stronger position to fight our corner from within & i'm leaning towards thinking the economic benefits are stronger from being in than out.

But what has pushed me firmly into the "in " camp is that that utter cunt George Galloway is in the "out" camp.

Daily Express/DailyMail/any number of right wing tits on Facebook.

Typical left wing retort. Are these good enough for you? Using these it comes to £559 per family. However its based on net contributions. Even the most pro Europe sources point out that calculating the benefits are pretty woolly as most are based on assumptions that we would have had little or no trade with the EU which is stupid.

http://businessforbritain.org/2015/07/08/obr-forecasts-for-uks-contributions-to-eu-budget-increase-3bn-in-4-months/

http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/rel/family-demography/families-and-households/2014/families-and-households-in-the-uk--2014.html

Anyway no point calculating it just on families as its not just families that pay tax

You can add in 3m companies as well from Terry's Tyres to Tesco's all chucking in the skip

Add in their contribution and start to pro rata the whole thing based on the money they put in and I'd bet the cost to each average 'family' is about the same as a night out round town

Edited by birch-chorley

The people with most money in society are OAPs, property paid for, no debt, final salary pensions, I don't buy into this scared to turn the heating on bollocks, they get an extra payment that many don't need.

I would say that the OAP population divides into 3 separate groups.

Firstly, those whose only income is from the state pension, who therefore pay no tax.

Secondly, those with a state pension and an income of up to twice that from other pensions, so that they do pay basic rate tax.

Thirdly, those with a level of income from pensions such that they pay higher-rate tax.

Most impressions of pensioners are the first category.

But I believe 15% are in the third category, paying higher-rate tax on part of their 'guaranteed' income.

To keep it brief I'll mention three things. One, we're already half out as it is and moreso now with this deal, such as it is. The rest of the EU, or more specifically the Euro countries, will carry on regardless and apparently we now won't be part of the integration which is surely to come. Second, whatever benefits there are to being in are also available to us if we're out. I have not heard one In supporter give an example of one concrete, material thing which we get from being in which we wouldn't out. Not one. Third, think how this whole thing looked in 1975 when we were last asked to vote on it and how little what we have now resembles it. So if we get a referendum again in 41 years time, think if you want to be a member of that. Think if June's referendum was to join. 

There is so little to be scared of if we leave. In most sense we won't even notice. The greater risk is to remain and be a part of it if it all comes crashing down, which is something easily foreseeable from any number of sources, Greece, Spain, Turkey, Portugal, Syria amongst them. 

But we'll vote to stay, sadly, unless Boris grows a pair. Then it might be a lot closer.

I think Boris will see this as probably his only chance of gaining power. For that reason he is likely to opt for Out. If the Ins win then Osborne is neatly placed to take over before 2020, but if we vote Out Cameron's own position becomes untenable and Boris can get a tilt at the job (btw London Mayor's question time is the funniest programme on TV - he just blusters his way through).

In 1975 the Labour cabinet was split, with the majority supporting IN.

The Conservative opposition, under its new leader (Mrs T) was strongly IN, with few dissenters.

The Liberals, who held the balance of power in the 1974 General Election and had favoured Labour, were as ever IN.

The Scottish and Welsh Nationalists, plus the Ulster Unionists and the DUP were OUT (yes OUT!).

Now the Conservative cabinet is split, but the majority is IN.

The Labour opposition, under its new leader (JC) is strongly IN, with a few dissenters such as Kate Hoey.

The LibDems, as ever, are IN.

The Scottish and Welsh Nationalists are IN.

So nothing has changed really.