Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Black Sunday

jeep

It was so poisonous that day I was standing outside Rice N Easy having my customary chip barm and BSE sausage when some pissed up Bolton fan frothing at the gob spouted "we've waited fucking ages for this you fat cunt" at me. Now I am indeed a fat cunt, but the teal green away shirt from the future should have given him a clue :)

EFA

What would the atmosphere have been like that day if we'd given them a game. Highlights include united fans knocked out on manny road with a terrified copper swinging his truncheon trying to defend them. A bloke in burnden stand lethering two united fans who'd celebrated a goal.. and I mean lethering. From the burnden terrace it looked like he was going to kill them. Manny road afterwards with the riot vans splitting the fans up.. I've spoke to united fans since who went and they said they couldn't believe the level of hate and how intimidating it was. Be interesting when we finally play them again after a few year gap to see what it's like.

What would the atmosphere have been like that day if we'd given them a game. Highlights include united fans knocked out on manny road with a terrified copper swinging his truncheon trying to defend them. A bloke in burnden stand lethering two united fans who'd celebrated a goal.. and I mean lethering. From the burnden terrace it looked like he was going to kill them. Manny road afterwards with the riot vans splitting the fans up.. I've spoke to united fans since who went and they said they couldn't believe the level of hate and how intimidating it was. Be interesting when we finally play them again after a few year gap to see what it's like.

It will be like a toddlers tea party - can only see our yoof being on their toes and the lads who were up for it 20 years ago are well past there best

It will never match it again

Proud to be a Boltoner that day

We were outside Roy Greaves boozer eating steak pudding and chips when  the coppers brought the united fans down Manny Road; only several of us and they tried to have a go; what was left of my pudding went over them with all the gravy. Sad that I didn't finish the grub but the thoughts of some red scum getting hot gravy over his head made my day

There's fight in the old dogs yet.

The turn out in town for Leeds weren't bad, I can see many more for the return of the Munich Bastards.

I half agree with you there, but are there enough of us left that hate the red filth? - I dont think so, and the yoof dont seem that bothered - more concerned with wigan and bucket shakers (One lad in near me at Brum spent most of the match singing "We hate Wigan" FFS.)

Without banging on about Burnden, we will never be able to muster the same amount of hate up at the Reebok - just too many women and kids these days

Silly boy

I'm on phone so couldn't do a shifty eyes smiley. Being from Great Lever, pathological loathing for them is in the DNA - from nobhead armchair filth at school in the days of fat, round, bounces on the ground Atkinson to victory drives around the gaff horns apipping on that special night in Barcelona (retch) to the local having several tellies on, one for the scum, in

case of conflicting fixtures - and several of the cunts feeling free to fly their colours on such occasions, spitting distance from Burnden an' all...I'm sure most other g/l, Farnworth, L/h etc. Whites feel the same.

Edited by Youri McAnespie

• Moderators

probably like bradshawgate in 2002

or the train station in 2003

Walked out of Manny road north at the end straight into a mob of 30-40 dmb's coming down Manchester road.

'Come on then Bolton. You fucking want it?' says this little dmb at the front.

Two seconds later he was face down in the middle of the road and his mates were getting smashed all over the place. I bet they'll never forget the kicking they got that day.

Fucking scum.

Such an eye-opener for me that day - I'd experienced what I thought were fraught/savage atmospheres before then - and was obviously well aware of what it meant as a fixture - but in terms of evil atmospheres this was a whole new level.  Made ever so slightly weirder that nobhead here decided it would be a good location for a first date.  Errr, as it happens it didn't last...