Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

One For The Coffin Dodgers/ Lever Enders....

miamiwhite

Almost 43,000 on that night. Warwick Rimmer running to the ground as he was caught in a traffic jam. (These pampered players today who have to go to a hotel for a prematch meal have no idea)

My teenage mancrush, Garry Jones scoring a hat-trick.

Mayhem on Manchester Rd. after the match.

Buying every morning paper the next day.

Travelling to work the next day with 2 scarves proudly tied to the back of my Lambretta.

I still have all those papers in the loft.

Watched from the Manny road stand. Was only a young lad then. Amazing game.

Saw it kicking off in the Leverend.

Years later worked with a city lad who was there that night.

St Peters Way was being built at the time, he tells a tale about being knocked all over it.

Never ventured to Bolton again.

The only occasion during my time when there were two big mobs sharing the Lever End for a night game & the atmosphere was electric....for me, probably the best ever at Burnden.

Quite scary for a yoof, & definitely a shock for the City fans !!

CITY! SHIT! CITY! SHIT, SHIT, SHIT........!

The noise in the Lever End could never be replicated.

I was 11 and had just started secondary school. It was only my second ever Wanderers game. My big sis and her mate worked at Barclays in town and had managed to get hold of some tickets for the Wing stand. Excellent view of the "football experience off the field" witnessed for the first time. A few bangers thrown back and forth between the two huge mobs in the Lever. City were over by the floodlight near the Burnden paddock. I'll never forget some of the chants i heard for the first time, especially "Ooh all together!" when Bolton surged into City, boots and fists everywhere and the thin blue line of coppers getting knocked about.

This match and the 3-2 win over Liverpool.

Unforgettable (both on and off the pitch!).

We've just hammered liverpool do da do da

Went to the first game at Liverpool in the boys pen and nearly got linched when the lad I was with let all the Liverpool kids know we were Bolton

It was the year I started going to games but I was still at primary school so my Dad said I couldn't go as it was an evening game

My first memory though of waiting up for him to come back and he was as proud as punch that we'd won. They were the days when you had no idea what the result was as there was no radio commentary or owt - but you just knew when your old man walked in the door whether we'd won or not judging by the look on his face

He always wore his suit and tie to the match with a big overcoat and a trilby-type hat and couldn't understand why denim-clad herberts were ruining his enjoyment. Funny and very, very sad at the same time

It was the year I started going to games but I was still at primary school so my Dad said I couldn't go as it was an evening game

My first memory though of waiting up for him to come back and he was as proud as punch that we'd won. They were the days when you had no idea what the result was as there was no radio commentary or owt - but you just knew when your old man walked in the door whether we'd won or not judging by the look on his face

Same for me when my dad first took me to Saturday games but not night games, when I had to go to bed before he got home & so  didn't know the result.  He used to leave the programme with the score & scorers written on it at the side of my bed, so it was first thing i saw in the morning. Ace when we'd won.  

City at home was my first ever game at BP in 65, it was tasty then on the embankment that day. Only went to my first game away in 68 watching Bolton, and that was an eye opener on the Blackpool kop.

Was the Blackpool game in 1968 the one when Bolton conceded a goal direct from an indirect free kick and a riot broke out on the Kop? Maybe that incident could have been the year after, it's a long time ago!