Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

France - Euros Trip

Widnes Two Hats

The Dutch police in Euro 2000 let us get as stupidly pissed as we wanted. And we did. For a week solid. Thousands in the Dam. No trouble.

The Belgians acted the cunt and it exploded.

The French just don't fucking like us.

I'm going to Nice for the week, regardless of the football I'll be on the Cote D'Azur and having a pleasant time moaning about the overpriced everything.

Got tickets for the R16 game between the runners up of our group and the runners up of Portugal.Hungary/Iceland/Austria. The price I've paid will mean I've got a bargain (England v Portugal) or I'll be able to buy 50 tickets for the same price (Russia v Iceland).

Going back to Bruges in between to sort out some unfinished business then hopefully a QF back in France after that.

• 5 weeks later...

Home after 18 days of wall to wall football and boozing. I feel like death.

Summary:

Wales v Slovakia - The Welsh hate us even more than I imagined. One bloke even took offence to the British flag with BWFC on it - weirdo. Bordeaux's stadium is very impressive.

Ireland v Sweden - Ireland fans don't hate England as much as I expected (or at least the ones that I spoke to), they also drank more than us and behaved worse, but didn't get tear gassed.

Austria v Hungary - Hungary fans are absolutely nuts, 100% best fans at the tournament. Big E is everywhere, bumped into him before the game in Bordeaux as his Wanderers flag was hung up outside a bar.

Northern Ireland v Ukraine - Absolutely tipped it down, brilliant to see Norn Iron win.

Czechs v Croatia - Croatian fans hate each other more than the opposition. Was in their end at St Etienne and it was better entertainment than the match, and the match was pretty good.

Hungary v Iceland - Marseille is a shite heap - Hungary fans are nuts. everyone in Iceland knows everyone in Iceland. Iceland fans also asked for a picture with my old mans Gudni Bergson tshirt which was superb.

Albania v Romania - Saw a Bolton on Tour flag right in the middle of the Romanians, Albanian fans made loads of noise but didn't seem to bother with the deodorant. Big E is everywhere.

England v Slovakia - Gutted I didn't see a goal, we were shite but the crack before the game reminded me of our European days.

Hungary v Portugal - Best game I went to, despite the fact I detest Ronaldo he was the best player on the park. Hungary fans had ran out of Pyro after the second goal, I think they only expected to score the one.

France v Ireland - Despite security taking flags on poles away from every supporter in the previous games at Lyon, French ones were suddenly allowed in the ground. First time I saw any French people watching the games in any of the stadiums, they have zero interest in watching anyone but themselves.

Italy v Spain - Worst two supported teams at the tournament. Italy made Spain look distinctly average, no mean feat. St Denis is also a brilliant stadium. Big E is everywhere. Garrp is still alive, despite reports of a rather interesting taxi journey back into the centre of Paris.

Gutted the next tournament is in Russia.

That knocks my one match in Nice for six mate.

Great trip, you can't put a price on memories of trips like that.

Flew from Nice to Brussels earlier, on train to Bruges now. Going to fly home in a couple of days now that plans to go to Paris for the France game have been royally fucked up.

24y47ki.jpg

Abit of a shit pic but spotted in St Etienne

i went to

Spain Vs Czech Republic (Toulouse)

Iceland Vs Portugal (St Etienne)

England Vs Slovakia (St Etienne)

saw Only three goals, Iceland fans where class, Spain fans where shit, didnt see any trouble just got punched in side of head by a milwall fan who said he was aiming for a Slovakian fan about half a mile away

Edited by Werder barmen

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.