Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Garry Jones

DomRepWanderer

RIP

oo Garry Jones oo Garry Jones.....

Best goal I ever saw him score was against Newcastle in the epict FA Cup battle with them. It was in the 3rd game, 2nd replay at Elland Road. He drove into the box, glidded around 2-3 players before slotting the ball home.

Unfortunatley for his career he was never the same player following a bad injury to his knee, which eventually ended his playing days.

PS

I missed his best ever moment when he beat City all by himself. My dad thought i was to young to go to the game with all the City mob in town.

RIP. Good that the club honoured him recently whilst he was still with us.

This, with bells on, and lovely to see so many of his old team mates there for him.

My first ever BWFC hero.

RIP.

RIP

oo Garry Jones oo Garry Jones.....

Best goal I ever saw him score was against Newcastle in the epict FA Cup battle with them. It was in the 3rd game, 2nd replay at Elland Road. He drove into the box, glidded around 2-3 players before slotting the ball home.

Unfortunatley for his career he was never the same player following a bad injury to his knee, which eventually ended his playing days.

PS

I missed his best ever moment when he beat City all by himself. My dad thought i was to young to go to the game with all the City mob in town.

That goal at Newcastle is on the highlights post on here. Can someone put it on here as a tribute?

RIP Garry.  Was there in 71 for the League Cup game, over 40000 on if I remember right - brilliant night time game.  Burnden and Manny Rd pretty special at night on match day.

Never got to see the 2nd replay v Newcastle stuck on the M621 but that's be done  number of times before.  Don't think I've  ever seen the goals before as we didn't get back in time for the highlights - thanks Burnden (and Garry).

Will always be remembered,as he should be as a true Bolton legend..got great memories of the mentioned big cup games but also many stalwart performances in the league... Wished they still made them like him!!

RIP Garry Jones

I think it was Garry Jones who scored a famous goal against Rotherham, in the 1972/3 season?

Jim McDonagh, then playing for Rotherham, later a Wanderers favourite himself, placed the ball down for a goal kick and Garry, while McDonagh had his back turned, tapped the ball into the net and the goal was given. Jones had been smart enough to realise that the ball was never actually out of play and the ref hadn't signalled a goal-kick

If my memory is correct it was at the Lever End, 

RIP Garry Jones :(  one of my first Bolton heroes