Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

How Can 50 Years Have Gone By ...?

MalcolmW

Two young athletes from Stretford club were on the local news, along with their coach. Can't remember his name but I did wonder whether Malc knew him.

I guess that would be Steve Ball with Seren Bundy-Davies and Kelly Massey, who are both in the Rio 4x400m squad (and Seren is in the individual 400m).

Back in the day he was a 400m flat, hurdles and relay runner in the Stretford team of the seventies, so yes I know him.

Malc, these dirty cheating Russians.......is it just them, or do you think other Federations/Athletes should be "looked at" as well?  -  or to put it another way, is everybody at it, like they are in cycling? - and it's just that some are just a lot better at evading capture than others

Malc, these dirty cheating Russians.......is it just them, or do you think other Federations/Athletes should be "looked at" as well?  -  or to put it another way, is everybody at it, like they are in cycling? - and it's just that some are just a lot better at evading capture than others

There are plenty other countries where testing is inadequate but I don't know of anywhere else in recent years where the state has been systematically involved in falsifying results.

It was clear from the outset that the Russian escapade was multi-sport, but that investigation was specifically for athletics. The CAS  judgement on the Russian appeals is due tomorrow.

• Site Supporter

I guess that would be Steve Ball with Seren Bundy-Davies and Kelly Massey, who are both in the Rio 4x400m squad (and Seren is in the individual 400m).

Back in the day he was a 400m flat, hurdles and relay runner in the Stretford team of the seventies, so yes I know him.

That's him, and them. A good set up there is it?

malc, any chance you can jump forward 20 odd years and dish us some dirt on the smoking 100m hurdler :)

Shirley Strong?

I got a pleasant surprise when the BT local directory for 2012 arrived with Shirley c1984 on the cover.

She lives in Congleton nowadays, somewhat incognito ubder her married name.

There is a story I heard of a teenage boy who looked out of his bedroom window (in a farmhouse on the Cumbria/Northumbria border), and saw Shirley running a cross-country race. No-one on the school bus next morning believed such a ridiculous story.

But this was before clubs arranged training camps on Lanzarote or the Algarve, and Stretford had an annual weekend camp at Gilsland, which ended with a 2 miles cross-country run on the Sunday afternoon. He really had seen her running past his house!

You surely don't want the Croydon nightclub story?

• Site Supporter

I got a pleasant surprise when the BT local directory for 2012 arrived with Shirley c1984 on the cover.

She lives in Congleton nowadays, somewhat incognito ubder her married name.

There is a story I heard of a teenage boy who looked out of his bedroom window (in a farmhouse on the Cumbria/Northumbria border), and saw Shirley running a cross-country race. No-one on the school bus next morning believed such a ridiculous story.

But this was before clubs arranged training camps on Lanzarote or the Algarve, and Stretford had an annual weekend camp at Gilsland, which ended with a 2 miles cross-country run on the Sunday afternoon. He really had seen her running past his house!

You surely don't want the Croydon nightclub story?

I think we all want the Croydon story

I think we all want the Croydon story

I doubt it, but here goes.

British clubs' cup finals at Crystal Palace, 1975 (ish).

Both Stretford and Sale had teams in the women's final, but neither had teams in the men's 8-club final.

I was officiating (I think scoring rather than announcing).

2 Sale lads I knew well had travelled down to support their team. They were camping in the CP grounds, I was staying in the Queens' Hotel, along with the teams.

There was supposed to be a post-match disco at CP, but it was cancelled because of concerns about IRA actions.

The Stretford team manager said his girls were looking forward to an end-of-season dance, so a Mitcham girl told them about a club in Croydon. But she said they had a strict dress code (no trainers or jeans). Tony and Gordon were in tee shirts, jeans and trainers. I at least had a blazer and white flannels, but was also in trainers. The team manager phoned ahead and explained the situation - he was assured we would be let in.

Tony and Gordon were with me, drinking in the QH, and keen to go to the club, but I said that I wanted to wait until the Edinburgh Southern manager bought me a drink (they had won both trophies), as I would never again get such a chance. Eventually he did, and then we left for Croydon, stopping several times to ask directions. Everyone that we spoke to ended their directions by saying "but they won't let you in". We got there, went down the In tunnel, and entered without explaining our lack of suitable dress. The Stretford girls, who had left before us, simply weren't there - there were just a dozen or so, all males. T and G grumbled a lot, and then after a few minutes three pairs of the men started dancing with each other. We were somewhat taken aback, and promptly left by the Out tunnel, returned to QH and drank there again until the early hours.

I transpired the that girls had gone into a pub opposite the club for a cheap drink, and then crossed to the In tunnel in time to enter the club) by 10pm, as it was free for women until then. So they were in the In tunnel as we were in the Out tunnel. They were allegedly disappointed that we weren't there (maybe), and T and G were a lot less than happy, but such is life.

• Site Supporter

I doubt it, but here goes.

British clubs' cup finals at Crystal Palace, 1975 (ish).

Both Stretford and Sale had teams in the women's final, but neither had teams in the men's 8-club final.

I was officiating (I think scoring rather than announcing).

2 Sale lads I knew well had travelled down to support their team. They were camping in the CP grounds, I was staying in the Queens' Hotel, along with the teams.

There was supposed to be a post-match disco at CP, but it was cancelled because of concerns about IRA actions.

The Stretford team manager said his girls were looking forward to an end-of-season dance, so a Mitcham girl told them about a club in Croydon. But she said they had a strict dress code (no trainers or jeans). Tony and Gordon were in tee shirts, jeans and trainers. I at least had a blazer and white flannels, but was also in trainers. The team manager phoned ahead and explained the situation - he was assured we would be let in.

Tony and Gordon were with me, drinking in the QH, and keen to go to the club, but I said that I wanted to wait until the Edinburgh Southern manager bought me a drink (they had won both trophies), as I would never again get such a chance. Eventually he did, and then we left for Croydon, stopping several times to ask directions. Everyone that we spoke to ended their directions by saying "but they won't let you in". We got there, went down the In tunnel, and entered without explaining our lack of suitable dress. The Stretford girls, who had left before us, simply weren't there - there were just a dozen or so, all males. T and G grumbled a lot, and then after a few minutes three pairs of the men started dancing with each other. We were somewhat taken aback, and promptly left by the Out tunnel, returned to QH and drank there again until the early hours.

I transpired the that girls had gone into a pub opposite the club for a cheap drink, and then crossed to the In tunnel in time to enter the club) by 10pm, as it was free for women until then. So they were in the In tunnel as we were in the Out tunnel. They were allegedly disappointed that we weren't there (maybe), and T and G were a lot less than happy, but such is life.

These girls

HBWTT's

A few years ago I was on a very heavy night out in Belfast and ended up one of the last two standing with a bloke called Eric, who belonged to the SAS.  We got back to our camp at 5 on the Sunday morning and rather than turn in we decided to head into the honesty bar for the two hours which remained till the cookhouse opened for breakfast. Just before 7 Eric's phone rung with an offer to run the Belfast marathon at 11am because someone had signed up but couldn't make it.

And he went and did it in three hours forty two minutes.

That's my favourite athletics story.

There are plenty other countries where testing is inadequate but I don't know of anywhere else in recent years where the state has been systematically involved in falsifying results.

It was clear from the outset that the Russian escapade was multi-sport, but that investigation was specifically for athletics. The CAS  judgement on the Russian appeals is due tomorrow.

Question Malc. Have they been facilitating people who wanted to cheat or have they been putting pressure on people to cheat? 

A few years ago I was on a very heavy night out in Belfast and ended up one of the last two standing with a bloke called Eric, who belonged to the SAS. We got back to our camp at 5 on the Sunday morning and rather than turn in we decided to head into the honesty bar for the two hours which remained till the cookhouse opened for breakfast. Just before 7 Eric's phone rung with an offer to run the Belfast marathon at 11am because someone had signed up but couldn't make it.

And he went and did it in three hours forty two minutes.

Impressive but Malcolm turning up at Crystal Palace in a blazer, white flannels and trainers takes some beating.

My favourite athletics story is about our regular poster 'Not In Crawley'

Back in the 90's, Bolton interschool sports day used to take place ato Leverhulme Park at the Harriers.

Crawley is a very tall man but it's not being unkind to say that although he is a man of many talents - sporting prowess isn't one of them. Presumably on account of his height he was crowbarred into representing his school in the 110m hurdles which is already unfair as he has never done it before.

Come race time - a bemused and no doubt apprehensive Crawley stands at the starting line under the expectant eyes of his school and every other 14 year old in town.

The gun goes off and away they run. Crawley gets off to an average start but stumbles into the first hurdle, knockijg it down. He incorrectly assumes means he's been disqualified and immediately stops running and turns around to pick it up.

As the other runners hurtle down the track the teachers start shouting to him that the race isn't over and he should carry on. By the time this message is communicated the others runners have finished a now crestfallen Crawley limps down the remainder of the track with the mocking laughs of his peers ringing in his ears.

Actually it sounds kind of cruel now I'm writing it. Maybe you have to know him to appreciate it :-)