Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Research On Policing At Football

theacademic

Dear all,

Given that research is finding a more sanitised and gentrified culture of British football (see:https://www.academia.edu/18862556/Football_Fans_Views_of_Violence_in_British_Football_Evidence_of_a_Sanitized_and_Gentrified_Culture), I am hoping you could spare a few minutes to share your views on policing at football: 

https://leeds.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/policing_football 

Thanks in advance.

• 3 weeks later...

My Uncle who's been a season ticket holder at city for 30 odd years had a run in when they were away in Madrid.

Police were wading into a group of city fans and he was understandably wound up. City had provided their own staff to man the gates so my uncle approached one of them and told them what was happening.

'What do you expect me to do?' came the reply. To which my uncle said 'If you can't do anything then what's the point of you being here? People are getting battered'

At that point some other City rep came up and said 'Why are you talking to my member of staff like that?'. My uncle replied something along the lines of 'I want you to report what's going on, and you aren't listening, people are getting hurt'.

The bloke pointed at him and said to the security staff 'don't let him in' and then just walked off.

Said he was just too exasperated to do anything. Angry as fuck but his only option would be to argue and then he'd have been on the receiving end of a truncheon no doubt.

Keep in mind - this bloke who barred him was a manc and a representative of the club.

Power crazy cunts in uniform on seven quid an hour taking out their own life inadequacies on others.

One step up from traffic wardens.

I agree - nothing makes me as angry as those situations where you realise you're completely powerless.

I hope for this blokes sake he doesn't bump into my uncle around Eastlands. I doubt he'd be as willing to hold his temper on home turf! :-)

I hope he still got in?

Folk like that make my piss boil.

Folk who spent their whole school life being the thick scrubber who had a bit of weight behind them who turned into the thick scrubber with a bit of weight behind them!