Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Clattenburg

globaldiver

There should be two refs used for a game. One for each half of the pitch - a goody and a baddy - a Rennie and a Riley. 

Some time in the 1930s there were two trial matches held post season with two referees.

In each match over 10 goals were scored.

Some time in the 1930s there were two trial matches held post season with two referees.

In each match over 10 goals were scored.

There were a lot of goals scored in that era Malc after the offside law was changed.

And quite frankly I am shocked that you come on here with a theory based on a sample size of 2. Are your oil levels running low or something?

There were a lot of goals scored in that era Malc after the offside law was changed.

And quite frankly I am shocked that you come on here with a theory based on a sample size of 2. Are your oil levels running low or something?

Hm.

The change to the offside rule was in 1925. There was a noticeable increase in goals after the change to 2 defenders, but by 1937-38 no team in the top tier averaged 2 goals per game. ManCity were the top scorers with 80 from 42 matches, and they were relegated. ManU scored 82 in gaining promotion. Bolton were 7th in the top tier, behind Arsenal, Wolves, PNE, Charlton, 'Boro and Brentford.

Having organised another dig into the internet data, I suspect the main reason for the 10-2 scoreline was probably the fact that the match was a Football League XI v a combined Welsh and Irish Leagues XI.