Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Pre-Season

Elson

• Site Supporter

I couldn't give a shit the teams we have beaten in pre-season have been from lower leagues than us, winning never reduces confidence.

Been years since we won more than 1 or 2 pre-season games. Also been years since we made a decent start to the season - maybe there's more to it than just improving fitness

This

The problem with the 'shithouses in the dressing room' theory is, if somehow the gods look down benignly on us and we manage to ship out Davies, Pratley et al, it's likely there'd just be promotions from within to the shithouse ranks, already Amos and Moxey are now lumped in with the long-term wastes of space. We can't keep blaming a 'culture' that will arguably replicate anyway, a bit like a zombie infestation - the buck has to stop somewhere or we'll be saying 'it'll be reet when we get rid of these overpaid shithouses on 600 quid a week swanning around in their Ladas and drawing on their arms with biros and we get in some hungry lads who'll play for their bus fare and a pie and pint, or better still, nowt...'

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Went to the York game, in philosophical mood, and came away reasonably positive.  Plus points were:

- The centre backs - although not exactly tested I saw enough to believe that Beevers (especially) and Finney will be solid;

- Mavies looked interested, lively, and trust he can display that he's a cut above at this level;

- Reckon Pratley will be a massive player for us this season, assuming he stays;

- Yep it was only York, but certainly first half we were knocking it about OK.

Other observations:

- Madine looked inert even against York;

- Proctor - looked willing but not sure if he's got that goalscorer's instinct - early days but have a fear of him being Madine #2

- I'm definitely still not Josh Vela's biggest fan :)

- Still laughing at how tiny Samizadeh is :)

My twopenn'oth anyroad...