Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
Sign in to follow this  
Smiffs

Politics

1 minute ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I think substantive differences between advisors - and all PMs and cabinet members have them - offering advice, influencing and strategy and media/comms management and them being able to dictate to the chancellor who he can have as advisers. 

Mandy would have absolutely loved to get rid of Brown - loved to. But he never did. 

The danger is - Cummings, singularly seems to wield far more power than any person in his role ever has - May's advisers for example often were exasperated as she sided with her ministers over them. Cummings in the main seems to hold sway with Johnson over his ministers...which is a huge amount of power for an unelected individual who has made very clear his views on how the country should be run - and I hasten to add many of his views are very different to those in the elected Tory manifesto. 

I didn't think Cummings would last much past the election its worrying to me if this trend continues. 

You're assuming Cummings dictated this move. Influenced perhaps, but he has no authority to conduct sackings.

Much like a hatchet man, his role is to advise, push and to take the heat off Boris where possible (not sure this really happens).

Boris is no mug; he knows full well he's promised a lot, and is clearly determined to do his best to deliver it.

Not a particularly pleasant series of events, all a bit cloak and dagger, but was politics ever clean at the highest levels?

He's shaping his government just like any other pm does.

4 minutes ago, Spider said:

Indeed

This govt. is being watched and analysed probably more than any other in history. Problem with that is the amount of talking heads, opinion-cunts, blog-cunts, thick-cunts and clever-cunts are all caught up in one big maelstrom of bollocks.

We can only really judge on results.

Nothing more anyone can do for a while now. Not worth getting worked up over.

Bananarous superious!

What is it I am supposed to dislike about Dominic Cummings?

I know he's supposed to be hugely ambitious and headstrong. So he's upset a lot of people in Westminster. But ideologically speaking, what is so abhorrent about him?

15 minutes ago, kent_white said:

I know he's supposed to be hugely ambitious and headstrong. So he's upset a lot of people in Westminster. But ideologically speaking, what is so abhorrent about him?

I think he rubs people up the wrong way. However much of this is a legacy from brexit, he was a major influence in it.

This continued screeching from the opposition isn't helping. They need a strong leader, who can clear it out and focus on being an effective opposition.

39 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

I think substantive differences between advisors - and all PMs and cabinet members have them - offering advice, influencing and strategy and media/comms management and them being able to dictate to the chancellor who he can have as advisers. 

Mandy would have absolutely loved to get rid of Brown - loved to. But he never did. 

The danger is - Cummings, singularly seems to wield far more power than any person in his role ever has - May's advisers for example often were exasperated as she sided with her ministers over them. Cummings in the main seems to hold sway with Johnson over his ministers...which is a huge amount of power for an unelected individual who has made very clear his views on how the country should be run - and I hasten to add many of his views are very different to those in the elected Tory manifesto. 

I didn't think Cummings would last much past the election its worrying to me if this trend continues. 

Why is it worrying?

Cummings is an advisor to Boris, and going off the Election result, is very good at his job 

You’ve been reading the Gruniad and listening to the BBC, Cumminings is the latest hate figure for some people in the media who don’t want to travel in the direction Boris is taking us

Cummings has his sights set on reforming the BBC eventually, therefore the BBC would like to throw shit at him and hope it sticks

Labour need to find someone like Cummings and quick before they disappear up the own arse

This Government was elected Democratically with a big majority there is nothing to worry about, we are not about to become a Dictatorship 

In five years time the Country will have another opportunity to judge Boris’s Premiership, thats Democracy 

10 minutes ago, Moon boy said:

Why is it worrying?

Cummings is an advisor to Boris, and going off the Election result, is very good at his job 

You’ve been reading the Gruniad and listening to the BBC, Cumminings is the latest hate figure for some people in the media who don’t want to travel in the direction Boris is taking us

Cummings has his sights set on reforming the BBC eventually, therefore the BBC would like to throw shit at him and hope it sticks

Labour need to find someone like Cummings and quick before they disappear up the own arse

This Government was elected Democratically with a big majority there is nothing to worry about, we are not about to become a Dictatorship 

In five years time the Country will have another opportunity to judge Boris’s Premiership, thats Democracy 

Or the Financial Times, the Times and even the Telegraph...

You think its good for an unelected official to be seeking to control the media? You honestly think that's a good place to be?

51 minutes ago, kent_white said:

There is plenty of what Cummings has splurged out on his blog that I agree with for example making data driven and evidence driven decisions - replacing politicians with the best minds rather than worrying about party political loyalties etc. Plenty I don't too. My issue is more with his methodology for achieving this. If he has a significant influence of an elected government, and for example is driving policy (contrary to the manifesto policy e.g. ditching fiscal controls Javid had in the manifesto) that is a potentially a hugely dangerous situation. You then tie that to what even much of the right wing media see as Cummings trying to completely control the messaging...well....

1 hour ago, kent_white said:

He supports Manchester United........probably

Just now, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Definite cunt then.

He's probably left handed as well

38 minutes ago, bwfcfan5 said:

There is plenty of what Cummings has splurged out on his blog that I agree with for example making data driven and evidence driven decisions - replacing politicians with the best minds rather than worrying about party political loyalties etc. Plenty I don't too. My issue is more with his methodology for achieving this. If he has a significant influence of an elected government, and for example is driving policy (contrary to the manifesto policy e.g. ditching fiscal controls Javid had in the manifesto) that is a potentially a hugely dangerous situation. You then tie that to what even much of the right wing media see as Cummings trying to completely control the messaging...well....

To be fair, from what I've read about him he believes in a meritocracy. And he wants Britain to become a global leader in the sciences and the fight against climate change. 

At least he's got a clear vision - which is what we'll need post Brexit. 

Other than him making a few enemies on his way to the position he finds himself in now I don't really see why he's such a figure of hate? I'm pretty much on the fence.

One plus point for Cummings is apparently he doesn't like Farage.

As far as I can tell lots of the dislike of him is linked to his central role in the Vote Leave campaign and the links to the dodgy media usage and links to Russian interference. He refused to turn up following his summons to the parliamentary select committee investigation in to fake news and was admonished for contempt of parliament.

He's definitely a untrustworthy snake but so many in politics are .

Slippery slope when you let unelected ideologists dictate the way government operates. Very slippery.

17 minutes ago, kent_white said:

To be fair, from what I've read about him he believes in a meritocracy. And he wants Britain to become a global leader in the sciences and the fight against climate change. 

At least he's got a clear vision - which is what we'll need post Brexit. 

Other than him making a few enemies on his way to the position he finds himself in now I don't really see why he's such a figure of hate? I'm pretty much on the fence.

Its more how he operates than anything else. He was a huge decryer of the likes of Boris - politicians with arts degrees - no experience of running large successful private sector organisations - there through privilege nothing else. You can watch him rip those sorts of MPs apart in his talks when he worked for Gove etc...Now - he's hitched his horse to one and is going round the back to exert control. 

Its a dangerous situation IMHO. But no doubt his view that evidence based politics should trump all are welcome and clearly he's steering Boris in the right direction re climate change. Still - I'd rather he wasn't an unelected person with so much power and seemingly little disregard for any of the systems he wants to work within. 

4 hours ago, Escobarp said:

Maybe he wasn’t deemed to very good at his job. Just a thought 

controversial I know and people don’t get moved on for under performance outside of government but who knows 

Thought the whole point was he’s done a really good job?

4 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

It’s quantifying it though eh? What does good look like?
depends what he’s been brought into do etc. was he brought into do one thing? Has he done something wrong that we don’t know about? nobody knows. 

apart from fanny5 of course who knows the inner workings of the UK government. 

and the nhs 

and the us government 

and Bolton wanderers football club 

and everything else of course 

Well the Irish PM said he was doing a decent job and he’s no dog in the fight. 

Edited by mickbrown

10 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Wasting your time. Escobarp doesn't give a fuck about it.

(P.S. Get ready for several paragraphs about the issue he doesn't give a fuck about, or a crying laughing emoji if he reads this first)

Edit: I see he didn't read this first.

Edited by Cheese

1 minute ago, mickbrown said:

That depends upon your view of things.

I thought he was doing ok as chancellor; whilst he's do nothing wrong, it's been explained that he's quite a traditionalist, bit like his predecessor, and very much behind financial prudence.

Seems Boris's aim is to utilise low interest rates to loosen purse strings and get spending- needs to fulfill promises to the north. A bit of a divergence in approach between the two.

"An end to austerity" as he's said.

Arguments for both approaches, time will tell.

Just now, Cheese said:

Wasting your time. Escobarp doesn't give a fuck about it.

(P.S. Get ready for several paragraphs about the issue he doesn't give a fuck about, or an crying laughing emoji if he reads this first)

Edit: I see he didn't see this first.

And...... you were wrong. 
you seem to have a wee thing for me though eh 😘 

Ah, if you're referring to the ni minister; it seems he was a remained and has on occasions rattled the cage. Now his main task has been completed, it seems Boris wants a kindred spirit. Again, might not be for the best, he was respected, so we'll have to see.

2 minutes ago, Escobarp said:

And...... you were wrong. 
you seem to have a wee thing for me though eh 😘 

You wrote another 6 paragraphs about the thing you don't give a fuck about.

Edited by Cheese

1 minute ago, Cheese said:

You wrote another 6 paragraphs about the thing you don't give a fuck about.

3 words doesn’t constitute a paragraph. But ok mongo 

15 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Slippery slope when you let unelected ideologists dictate the way government operates. Very slippery.

He's not a fascist dictator who's taken over via military coup. He's a paid advisor who's guidance is clearly highly respected by his employer but could be fired off with the click of a finger. 

3 minutes ago, kent_white said:

He's not a fascist dictator who's taken over via military coup. He's a paid advisor who's guidance is clearly highly respected by his employer but could be fired off with the click of a finger. 

That's probably what everyone thinks before they find themselves being ruled by an immovable dictator. I'm playing on the dramatics, but this situation isn't normal. It needs nipping in the bud.