Jump to content
Wanderers Ways - passion not fashion
Sign in to follow this  
Smiffs

Politics

Recommended Posts

15 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

That depends upon your view of things.

I thought he was doing ok as chancellor; whilst he's do nothing wrong, it's been explained that he's quite a traditionalist, bit like his predecessor, and very much behind financial prudence.

Seems Boris's aim is to utilise low interest rates to loosen purse strings and get spending- needs to fulfill promises to the north. A bit of a divergence in approach between the two.

"An end to austerity" as he's said.

Arguments for both approaches, time will tell.

I was talking about the NI minister. 

Either way, not particularly arsed, they’re are all Tory twats  at the end of the day, but Boris (or Dom) does seem to be surrounding his self with a certain type of politician. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bwfcfan5 said:

Its more how he operates than anything else. He was a huge decryer of the likes of Boris - politicians with arts degrees - no experience of running large successful private sector organisations - there through privilege nothing else. You can watch him rip those sorts of MPs apart in his talks when he worked for Gove etc...Now - he's hitched his horse to one and is going round the back to exert control. 

Its a dangerous situation IMHO. But no doubt his view that evidence based politics should trump all are welcome and clearly he's steering Boris in the right direction re climate change. Still - I'd rather he wasn't an unelected person with so much power and seemingly little disregard for any of the systems he wants to work within. 

So Cummings is not the bogey man, worry not

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mickbrown said:

I was talking about the NI minister. 

Either way, not particularly arsed, they’re are all Tory twats  at the end of the day, but Boris (or Dom) does seem to be surrounding his self with a certain type of politician. 

Ones that will pull in the same direction and share his vision?

A decision like this can always be dressed up in two ways. It purely depends upon how you choose to interpret it.

No different to a football manager wanting his own staff. Or KH bemoaning folk not all on the same page.

At least if it goes to shit, he tried it his way and we can all lambast him for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

At least if it goes to shit, he tried it his way and we can all make excuses for him.

I dont actually mind bozo, brexit chicanery aside, but hes being played big time for cummings

No sympathy as hes a massive shithouse sell out

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, kent_white said:

What is it I am supposed to dislike about Dominic Cummings?

I know he's supposed to be hugely ambitious and headstrong. So he's upset a lot of people in Westminster. But ideologically speaking, what is so abhorrent about him?

Watch 'Brexit: The Uncivil War' on All4 and you'll get an idea why he's attracting so much flak. How true to life it is I have no idea.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, RoadRunnerFan said:

Watch 'Brexit: The Uncivil War' on All4 and you'll get an idea why he's attracting so much flak. How true to life it is I have no idea.

Will do - thanks for the tip!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Ones that will pull in the same direction and share his vision?

A decision like this can always be dressed up in two ways. It purely depends upon how you choose to interpret it.

No different to a football manager wanting his own staff. Or KH bemoaning folk not all on the same page.

At least if it goes to shit, he tried it his way and we can all lambast him for it.

Well it’s obvious I’m going to interpret it as spineless brown nosing fuckers feathering their own nests. 

Oh, and it’s going to go to shit, I’m pretty certain of that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Well it’s obvious I’m going to interpret it as spineless brown nosing fuckers feathering their own nests. 

Oh, and it’s going to go to shit, I’m pretty certain of that. 

Therein is the problem. If folk have made their mind up beforehand, then they're not really going to made a considered judgement as to how well a government (and indeed parliament) has performed.

We now have a government looking to spend more and move on from austerity. Promising to invest plenty into transport (especially up here), and to start delivering on a more green agenda. To name a few.

Public is more connected to politics than for a very long time (if ever) because of Brexit and the government is going to be scrutinised like never before.

That's no bad thing in itself so long as analysis is fair minded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Therein is the problem. If folk have made their mind up beforehand, then they're not really going to made a considered judgement as to how well a government (and indeed parliament) has performed.

We now have a government looking to spend more and move on from austerity. Promising to invest plenty into transport (especially up here), and to start delivering on a more green agenda. To name a few.

Public is more connected to politics than for a very long time (if ever) because of Brexit and the government is going to be scrutinised like never before.

That's no bad thing in itself so long as analysis is fair minded.

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

And turnout in this election was down on the last one. 

Down 1.5% since 2017 and the second highest since 1997. (2017 being the highest) so TGGJ is right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Boby Brno said:

Down 1.5% since 2017 and the second highest since 1997. (2017 being the highest) so TGGJ is right. 

Strictly speaking, he isn’t 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are entering into a fascinating period in politics, what is the long term plan of Johnson and Cummings, they have a position of power not afforded to a U.K. leader for many a year. They definitely have a vision for the U.K. and it looks like it could be revolutionary, whether it will work out no one knows but for sure it’s going to be interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

When do they start building these 40 hospitals?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do keep up

Re opening a ward they closed was being classed as building a new one

Ive had it with all of em to be honest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

China now linked with the HS2 project. We'll be travelling to that there London at high speed by 2021

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, MickyD said:

China now linked with the HS2 project. We'll be travelling to that there London at high speed by 2021

I heard the other day, that our HS isnt really HS and should be being sold as high capacity 

Anyway, article said ours will be 200 plus mph, but china and jap are already at 400 plus

And the designer was from round here?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A quick google says its maglev

Way too complicated for me

Bloke mentioned called laithwaite...that sounds ooop north

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, MickyD said:

China now linked with the HS2 project. We'll be travelling to that there London at high speed by 2021

The "5 years" aren't necessarily the next five.

Allowing for planning discussions the 5 years are 2021, 2025, 2029, 2033 and 2037.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Casino said:

I heard the other day, that our HS isnt really HS and should be being sold as high capacity 

Anyway, article said ours will be 200 plus mph, but china and jap are already at 400 plus

And the designer was from round here?

China and Japan have topped 300 with the maglev trains aiming to run by 2027.

The shinkansen runs at 200mph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, frank_spencer said:

China and Japan have topped 300 with the maglev trains aiming to run by 2027.

The shinkansen runs at 200mph

When you look at train speeds over the years, Mallard managed 126 miles per hour 1n 1938 which is 1 mph quicker than the fastest diesel or electric scheduled services. So perhaps it's the rail infrastructure preventing faster journeys.

Will the HS2 tracks be bend and points free as much as possible?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

Look at the fucking state of them. 

 

If you constantly repeat a lie, you end up thinking it's the truth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, MickyD said:

When you look at train speeds over the years, Mallard managed 126 miles per hour 1n 1938 which is 1 mph quicker than the fastest diesel or electric scheduled services. So perhaps it's the rail infrastructure preventing faster journeys.

Will the HS2 tracks be bend and points free as much as possible?

Eurostar runs at around 200mph too it's not the trains just the straight runs of track that are lacking.

Ideally a run from Glasgow to London stopping only at manc and Brum would be in the west and Edinburgh via Newcastle, Leeds and Nottingham in the east. Just like the motorways.

Minimum stops with minimal points to slow the train down.

The west coast mainline runs at between 110 and 125mph.

The big issue is clear land to run on like most engineering projects it's certainly very doable but it'll cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.