Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Today's Euro Games

deane koontz

They knew how to play tournament football. Give nothing away, score on the break and be good at pens. Good luck to them.

In one.  #winners

Thought they were pretty immense as a unit yesterday and could/should have won more games than they did.

Different topic, but not sure how I feel about 3rd place QF's though . . .

• Moderators

Watched the final in Lisbon centre on the big screen, not a single pint thrown, not even a plastic chair. Absolute scenes all night after, I knocked it on the head at 1am.

Happened upon the victory parade this afternoon, people everywhere happily waving flags, seeing what it means to them, we need to do something like this once in this generation.

• Moderators

The 8 goals shown by the BBC for goal of the tournament were all absolute belters, dunno which won, could have been any for me.

Robson-Kanu won it

Returned from Paris today and back to real football at last.

Went over to watch the Final in the fanzone, arrived nearly hour and a half before kick off and it had closed 30 mins before that, over 90,000 packed in there! Bit gutted (not least because I still had a load of euros on my Fanzone card from last time) but ended up watching it in a busy bar in an area where there were quite a few pubs, so was a good atmosphere. It was still good after the game too where I was, loads of mopeds speeding about beeping horns waving Portugal and France flags. In the end, missing the Fanzone meant I missed a night long riot too, so not all bad.

The tournament as a whole in my own opinion followed what seems to be becoming a regular thing; interesting - occasionally brilliant - group stage followed by a mostly stultfyingly boring knockout phase with the odd great game here and there. 24 teams doesn't work for me, but I had that opinion before it kicked off and it would have taken a lot for that to change.

Away from the games though, brilliant. Really glad I was able to experience some of it and the way fans from all over mixed to drink and chat football together will stay with me for a long time.

Heard quite enough of the Will Grigg song though. Quite enough.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.