Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

England V Wales

globaldiver

Heard this talk sport not sure who was on there, some ex pro but saying it was what all teams do, first 11 are playing a and then an extra ball is thrown on to replicate ball being given away and then they work on recovering positions so it is only players who are not in first team that can play the opposition.

Did Vardy touch ball other than the goal ? I agree on Alli, he as poor, but given back 4 look dodgy, sterling and Kane were rubbish, Alli similar, the rest must be doing ok

Actually thought Alli was good in the second half. Got forward more, picked the ball up in more threatening positions and provided a great assist for the goal.

Not getting carried away but feel positive about getting top spot now.  Positive momentum and playing to your strengths seem to work for most successful sides at tournaments and we did the latter 2nd half and hopefully have some confidence and a monkey of our back going forwards.

Great to see the pile on yesterday :)  Defence still looks a bit dodge but Rooney in midfield is the right call and Dier looks very solid imo.

We wont have as much possession against better teams i.e. Italy, Spain &  ze Germans but I reckon playing a counter attacking game is probably better suited to our squad rather than trying to unpick the parked bus like yesterday.

I reckon most teams watching our 2 games will be thinking 'don't fancy them much'.   Think we could well paste someone if we get an early goal . . .

• Site Supporter

Don't think alli has been at his best, but at spuds he gets put in with through balls or ones over the top. Not as easy for him to do this against a deep, packed defense. He was better when he dropped a little deeper and gave more depth to our play. Unlike sterling who stands in the front line too much offering little movement, reckon he's actually a bit dense.

If we win our group, it looks increasingly likely we'll end up playing Northern Ireland, then could play the winners of Switzerland or Poland in the quarters.

Imperative we win our group now.

It might be "increasingly likely", but it is still very much an outside chance.

The only way it will happen is that Groups A and D are the two whose third team fail to progress.

So if Croatia and Spain both win again today the chances improve significantly, but still less than 50%.

Nor'n Ireland are guaranteed third or better, having beaten Ukraine, but still have a chance of direct qualification.

What is for certain is that it is to NI's advantage to avoid any bookings in their final game.

• Members

Watched England v Wales in the Black Horse on Bury Road (flying visit, less than 24 hours). Place went crazy when the winner went in.

Ex Bolton players scoring goals at Euro 2016. Sturridge, Weiss - any more I may have missed?

Watched England v Wales in the Black Horse on Bury Road (flying visit, less than 24 hours). Place went crazy when the winner went in.

Ex Bolton players scoring goals at Euro 2016. Sturridge, Weiss - any more I may have missed?

Did that Dzmalli chap not bag?

That is why we do what we do.

Year after year, season after season, week after week.

Fucking love it.

Looks like the prelude to the clip where the two Russians are out cold on the floor then the local coloured shopper gets knocked out.

https://mobile.twitter.com/from_thestands/status/743768702638690304

Edited by miamiwhite

It might be "increasingly likely", but it is still very much an outside chance.

The only way it will happen is that Groups A and D are the two whose third team fail to progress.

So if Croatia and Spain both win again today the chances improve significantly, but still less than 50%.

Nor'n Ireland are guaranteed third or better, having beaten Ukraine, but still have a chance of direct qualification.

What is for certain is that it is to NI's advantage to avoid any bookings in their final game.

As I said Malc, if we had won our group, we would have played Northern Ireland.

Ifs and ands and all that guff.

Know the game Cyril.

As I said Malc, if we had won our group, we would have played Northern Ireland.

Ifs and ands and all that guff.

Know the game Cyril.

It was certainly easier for England to reach that tie than Nor'n Ireland!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.