Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tomorrow

Not in Crawley

Here's one for you. My grandmother's brother joined up and went to The Somme. Got seriously injured and sent home. The Army discovered his true age (he'd lied about his age to join up) and kicked him out. He recovered and joined up again. This was his his postcard that he sent from Folkestone on his way back to the trenches in April 1918 when he was officially old enough. He never came back...........

Survived The Somme but didn't survive the last couple of months of the war 

Aye. I could go about the yoof today but would rather celebrate the yoof of a time we never knew who went out to fight for something that was worthwhile

Got pictures of his grave, of him and his mates in France, of his brother in the trenches, etc etc. One day I'll make the trip over. To my eternal shame I've passed 50 and have't done it yet

• Moderators

Here's one for you. My grandmother's brother joined up and went to The Somme. Got seriously injured and sent home. The Army discovered his true age (he'd lied about his age to join up) and kicked him out. He recovered and joined up again. This was his his postcard that he sent from Folkestone on his way back to the trenches in April 1918 when he was officially old enough. He never came back...........

post of the year

fantastic

and no doubt he was one of thousands who did exactly that

different times, eh

Wow...powerful stuff MancW

What a brave and loyal man and there were millions like him, God bless him. Sad he never had the chance to live his life. ????

Great post

I watched something a while back about Spanish Flu

Horrendous numbers of lads died during the war but the Spanish Flu that followed it directly after killed even more

Imagine surviving 4 / 5 years of that then dying from flu

Many didn't even make it home before catching the illness / dying

Edited by birch-chorley

Brilliant!

• Members

Lump in throat stuff Manc.

Nice one mate. What a hero!

A true hero cant see many of the todays yoof queuing up to do that.

We are going over to Le Crotoy in August for a week to visit the battle fields and memorials of the Somme. Done a couple of trips to Northern France before and trust me when you stand in the remains of the trenches on the Chemin Des Dames then visit some of many cemeteries to see the thousands of war graves it sends shivers down your spine to see what these guys went through and how many gave up their lives for their country.

Daughter got the tram into Manc today. This lot were there (or if not, another group doing summat similar). She said that it was virtually silent. Very reverential. It really spooked her as it came across so realistic

Just read up on it. Happened all over the country - they weren't to talk or engage with the public, just be a presence.

If the public approached them, they handed them a card with a soldiers name, age and 'killed 1st July 1916' on it.

Wish I'd seen it.