Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tour De France

maaarsh

2 hours ago, Offshore said:

Thomas

Bernal

Pinot  

Get yer money on it now.           

Fantastic ride by Simon Yates today. He'll bag a further stage when they reach the alps. Thursday and Friday will sort the wheat from the chaff. Alaphilippe  to finish nearer 10th than 1st.

I think you’re pretty much spot on. I said a couple of days ago, I don’t see Alaphilippe finishing on the podium. His team won’t be able to support him in the Alps and I don’t believe he is strong enough on his own to cope with those three days in a row.

Bernal is clearly a strong climber but the problem is that he is still 30 secs behind Thomas in the GC, so Ineos are likely to support Thomas rather than Bernal unless Bernal can put some time into him on Thursday.

I can see the three that you have mentioned being the final podium, but I wouldn’t want to predict the order. I suspect I’ll have a nibble. Pinot looks to be in great form, but at 5/4, I’m not sure there is enough value. Bernal at 6s, Thomas at 4s. I’ll have a think on the rest day.

11 hours ago, Jol_BWFC said:

I think you’re pretty much spot on. I said a couple of days ago, I don’t see Alaphilippe finishing on the podium. His team won’t be able to support him in the Alps and I don’t believe he is strong enough on his own to cope with those three days in a row.

Bernal is clearly a strong climber but the problem is that he is still 30 secs behind Thomas in the GC, so Ineos are likely to support Thomas rather than Bernal unless Bernal can put some time into him on Thursday.

I can see the three that you have mentioned being the final podium, but I wouldn’t want to predict the order. I suspect I’ll have a nibble. Pinot looks to be in great form, but at 5/4, I’m not sure there is enough value. Bernal at 6s, Thomas at 4s. I’ll have a think on the rest day.

Bernal's gained a minute in 2 stages on Thomas and you think a 30 second lead will protect Thomas? Not sure what value you think the team's 'support' has for Thomas when Bernal has been able to put so much time in to him already when the lead was previously 90 seconds.

Real shame Adam peaked his season incorrectly - pretty weak field this year and he could have been a real danger if he was here in his spring form.

8 minutes ago, maaarsh said:

Bernal's gained a minute in 2 stages on Thomas and you think a 30 second lead will protect Thomas? Not sure what value you think the team's 'support' has for Thomas when Bernal has been able to put so much time in to him already when the lead was previously 90 seconds.

Real shame Adam peaked his season incorrectly - pretty weak field this year and he could have been a real danger if he was here in his spring form.

Thomas by his own admission was not feeling 100% over the last few days (could just be excuses, obviously) but I can see him being stronger at the end of this week after a few days’ comparative rest.

One thing is for sure - it will be a fascinating end to the race.

On 21/07/2019 at 23:12, Jol_BWFC said:

5/4 is a terrible price. The bookies should be ashamed. Anything can happen yet between now and Paris.

On 22/07/2019 at 10:41, maaarsh said:

It's a good point, although I've always felt the Alps are a little easier and a more gradual climb in general than the Pyrenees. I think the alpine climbs will probably suit Thomas more than Bernal. But it only takes a bad few minutes of suffering and your tour could be over. 

Rowe and Martin (very harshly) chucked out of the tour today. 

Pure coincidence that they are domestiques of the key rivals to the French hopes, Alaphilippe and Pinot and that it’s the day before we enter the final three days, where every team member will be crucial given the mountain stages...

Not just domestiques they are both team leaders, we have seen worse than that every day in the bunch sprints with no action taken, it's just bent to give an advantage to the two French riders in the GC. I still think they will both struggle as this is a big last three days with some massive climbs.

Alaphilippe for me 

Just too big a lead with only two stages left, I think the rest of the GC chasers are neutralising each other 

One might get away and make a bit of time up but it’s just too big an ask 

They all need Alaphilippe to fully crack, I can’t see it 

Edited by birch-chorley

12 minutes ago, birch-chorley said:

Alaphilippe for me 

Just too big a lead with only two stages left, I think the rest of the GC chasers are neutralising each other 

You should have put a few quid on it - any decent odds over the last week or two...? ;)

Summit finish - I think they will go for Alaphillipe tomorrow. He struggled today with the only one real attack of the day and he was all alone about 30 secs behind the big GC players at the top (even more behind Bernal). He doesn’t have a descent to help him claw back the time.

Who will land the killer attack - I don’t know. Plenty of people have to if they want to take a spot on the podium or win the tour and it could be any of them.

I reckon Alaphilippe will be in yellow by the skin of his teeth at the end of the stage, but having lost big chunks of time to 3 or 4 behind him (who will go past him on Saturday).

14 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Alaphilippe for me 

Hope he does it - French need a winner and he's much more talented than Pinot, even if GT GC is probably not the most natural fit. Having said that he's still a far more natural fit for it than most of the recent British winners.

1 hour ago, maaarsh said:

Hope he does it - French need a winner and he's much more talented than Pinot, even if GT GC is probably not the most natural fit. Having said that he's still a far more natural fit for it than most of the recent British winners.

Pinot has dropped out on the road with an injury from 2 days ago.

And Valverde and Uran in today's breakaway group!

Edited by MalcolmW
more info

Yates looking extremely strong again - bit gutting him and his brother don't seem to have peaked right this season - at their best they would have the beating of Carapaz and Bernal, but wasn't to be this year.

Shortened race today. Essentially a 35km climb after a 25km flat. 

Should be attack after attack from those trying to snaffle the points for the polka dot jersey, those after a final stage win and the riders fighting for the podium spots.