Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tour De France

maaarsh

29 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

Basically yes, at one point I think it was 6.2 was considered all you could do without "assistance". These lads are pissing all over known dopers numbers and times by big margins, it's as bad as Radcliffe's marathon.

Do you reckon they're cheating, or just better technology on the bikes and fitter cyclists?

2 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

I don't know because I don't manage a pro cycling team and I'm not a pro cyclist, i'm just expressing my opinion after knowing the history of the sport, knowing people who have raced, and watching it personally for 45 years.

So you're speculating?

Aye, but your opinion this time is speculation! 😁

I watch and have also read lots on cycling over the years. I think that Sweep is correct that the recent improvements are due to better technology and things like diet and fitness, etc.

Plus, they get tested regularly, and there isn't many positive tests.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this tour after thinking that there'd be no racing this year. 

6 minutes ago, jeep said:

Aye, but your opinion this time is speculation! 😁

I watch and have also read lots on cycling over the years. I think that Sweep is correct that the recent improvements are due to better technology and things like diet and fitness, etc.

Plus, they get tested regularly, and there isn't many positive tests.

Anyway, I'm enjoying this tour after thinking that there'd be no racing this year. 

Don’t think any testing is happening this year because of Covid 

However, on the flip side Covid means that it’s a different tour from usual, riders should be much fresher 

The Irish rider (think it was Bennet) talked a lot about the virtual riding because of Covid working out better than the usual foreign winter camps 

• Site Supporter
56 minutes ago, mickbrown said:

I ride a bit and fuck me, the numbers are unbelievable. The speed they climb. Jesus

After seeing the commonwealth riders steaming down the hill towards Rivington village, and the state of the Namibian rider who didn't make the bend, I reckon the downhills are arguably even more impressive. Balls of fucking steel, id shit out well before, even if I could match their speed.

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Don’t think any testing is happening this year because of Covid 

However, on the flip side Covid means that it’s a different tour from usual, riders should be much fresher 

The Irish rider (think it was Bennet) talked a lot about the virtual riding because of Covid working out better than the usual foreign winter camps 

edit - scratch that, just read that Roglic has been tested twice today 

2 hours ago, Tonge moor green jacket said:

After seeing the commonwealth riders steaming down the hill towards Rivington village, and the state of the Namibian rider who didn't make the bend, I reckon the downhills are arguably even more impressive. Balls of fucking steel, id shit out well before, even if I could match their speed.

Totally. I ain’t got the balls for the downhills or the legs/lungs for the uphills. Besides, downhill is the bit where you get a chance to stop pedalling for a bit. 

• Site Supporter

Once came down the hill on the far side of Affetside, towards Turton road/Bradshaw Road.

Not exactly a smooth surface, and the bike seemed to barely touch some bumps as I reckon I was slightly airborne from a previous one. 

Most ballsy descent I reckon for me. Maybe not the furthest or even fastest, but most uneven surface and scary.

Was watching the highlights last night, sure they said Richie Porte is joining Ineos next year? 

Just trying to get my head around how they are planning to work all these grand tour hopefuls into 1 team? 

Bernal, Thomas, Porte, Yates, Carapaz along with any of the current Super domestiques who are coming through and want a shot 

1 hour ago, birch-chorley said:

Was watching the highlights last night, sure they said Richie Porte is joining Ineos next year? 

Just trying to get my head around how they are planning to work all these grand tour hopefuls into 1 team? 

Bernal, Thomas, Porte, Yates, Carapaz along with any of the current Super domestiques who are coming through and want a shot 

Ineos will be using Porte as a "Super Domestique". IMO he's nowhere near good enough to win a Grand Tour (GT) - watch him win this one now!! 😮

Their main GT TdF prospects will be Thomas & Bernal, with Carapaz/Yates going for Giro/Vuelta if one of the fore mentioned don't race there. Plus they really do rate Sivakov for future GTs. Losing a superb domestique like Poels has made a massive difference. That's why they've gone for Yates & Porte.

Anyway, it's back on - stage 16 just starting on Eurosport 🚴‍♂️👍

7 minutes ago, Nobster said:

It goes past our place in France on Thursday, gutted at not being there to watch. It should be another good day with some hard climbing to be done.

How much time a year are you spending in France? Thinking about France for a holiday home long term, somewhere to retire to for the summer months 

3 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

How much time a year are you spending in France? Thinking about France for a holiday home long term, somewhere to retire to for the summer months 

We are up in the Alps so out there for 10 weeks in the winter skiing, then 4 weeks in the summer cycling and walking.