Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tour De France

maaarsh

If you take the men's record for any distance and add 12% you will get a good idea of women;s world record standard.

In fact anything less than that needs looking at twice (sex, doping, whatever).

The gap for the mile is higher (13.2%). Parts of this is that since metrication (1970) the mile has been raced far more often for men than women, largely because of the 4 minute mark.

One year Paula Radcliffe ran the Marathon fastest than any British man, but that says more about the dearth in British male talent at that time than anything else.

Many many years ago my Dad told me that women would become competitive with men at endurance races but not sprints. This, however, was based on a lifelong study of greyhounds, where similar power/weight ratios apply.

What about this idea of taking 'transgender' athletes to Rio? Sounds utterly berzerk to me.

Btw the Tour Of Britain has a day in Cheshire East (plus one corner in Derbyshire) on Tuesday 6th September.

Let's hope the M6 has no accidents between Jns 16 and 20 that day.

The route is Congleton, Alsager, Crewe, Nantwich, Middlewich, Sandbach, Holmes Chapel, Knutsford, Tatton Park, Ashley, Mobberley, Alderley Edge, Prestbury, Bollington, Pott Shrigley, Rainow, Cat & Fiddle, Siddington, Chelford, Knutsford, Tatton Park.

Btw the Tour Of Britain has a day in Cheshire East (plus one corner in Derbyshire) on Tuesday 6th September.

Let's hope the M6 has no accidents between Jns 16 and 20 that day.

The route is Congleton, Alsager, Crewe, Nantwich, Middlewich, Sandbach, Holmes Chapel, Knutsford, Tatton Park, Ashley, Mobberley, Alderley Edge, Prestbury, Bollington, Pott Shrigley, Rainow, Cat & Fiddle, Siddington, Chelford, Knutsford, Tatton Park.

I've already booked the day off to go and watch. I'll go to the start at Congleton, then up to Holmes Chapel and then on to the finish at Tatton before cycling back home to Gawsworth.

Absolute carnage at the end today

Froome running up Mont Ventoux because those cunt spectators caused a crash again.

Worth watching the highlights at 7pm on ITV4

Has Froome still got the Yellow Jerkin then?

It's mental that they're still allowed to get that close to the riders considering the security concerns they've got over there.

I agree, it's the biggest sporting event that France has. You'd think it would be an ideal target

It's mental that they're still allowed to get that close to the riders considering the security concerns they've got over there.

Given they cover over a hundred miles a day I would have thought it would be a logistical nightmare trying to keep spectators away, especially on the winding mountain roads

Champs elysees would be far more easier to control

Given they cover over a hundred miles a day I would have thought it would be a logistical nightmare trying to keep spectators away, especially on the winding mountain roads

Champs elysees would be far more easier to control

I know you're right and it would also take some of the spectacle away. But the fact it's not been attacked already is a miracle. Maybe Allah is a cycling fan?

• Site Supporter

Yates said he wouldn't have wanted yellow in those circumstances.

How the riders don't twat more spectators is beyond me

There was one guy cavorting around just after the crash today who should have been kicked all the way back down the mountain the fucking cunt

This was a accident waiting to happen.

At least it wasn't directly aimed at Froome, although he suffered the most, as his bike was hit by another motorbike and he could not remount.

I think the biggest problem was that because the course had been shortened at a day's notice because of 10k winds at the summit, those potential spectators from the top 6k were added to those in the previous 5k. There certainly were not enough barriers to cope for the revised run in to the finis, and perhaps this came about in part by the switch.

Today's time trial could be interesting.