Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Tour De France

maaarsh

Bernal gave his victory presentation speech in four languages:

firstly in English for his team's benefit, then Italian to thank the team that first brought him to Europe, next Spanish for the benefit of his amazing number of Colombian fans who made the trip for  some or all of the tour and finally French as a courtesy to the hosts. Classy.

29 minutes ago, MalcolmW said:

Bernal gave his victory presentation speech in four languages:

firstly in English for his team's benefit, then Italian to thank the team that first brought him to Europe, next Spanish for the benefit of his amazing number of Colombian fans who made the trip for  some or all of the tour and finally French as a courtesy to the hosts. Classy.

Truly moving. A fantastic sporting performance by all involved, from DB to all the riders of team Ineos to all support staff of the team. As for Bernal's speech; as you say, classy. Especially from a 22 yr old who has just won the biggest bike race the world knows. Sadly, Boris Johnson is probably already  working on ways to stop any future British involvement in any further European racing, as it may impede his progress  to the title of the worlds number one c*nt.............

Jesus, let’s not turn it into another one of them threads!

Any road, superb three weeks, I’ve been gripped! Not seen the Bernal victory speech yet, will find it shortly 

Been watching TDF a few years now, took my old man to Brittany for the Mur De Bretagne stage last year. It takes some getting into but it’s a sport in its purist form, mans endurance limits and strategy thrown in. You also get thousands going up a mountain to watch, fantastic!!

I fancy doing stage 1 & 2 next year, both in Nice but stage 2 into the Alps for an early mountain. Direct train from Nice to the ski resort at the top of the mountain. Love Nice anyway so why not! 

Edited by birch-chorley

• Site Supporter

Watched the cycling up Rivington when the commonwealth games were on.

Absolutely fantastic. To be fair, any top level sport is an eye opener when you watch it live. The speed etc takes your breath away.

Remember seeing Harmison bowling, and his arm hyper extending when I saw him in a one dayer at Durham. Then the ball almost instantaneously arriving at the batsman.

As a football fan, you see that game frequently, from an early age, so growing up with it, perhaps take it for granted a bit and don't realise the level some of the players are at.

• 1 year later...
7 hours ago, birch-chorley said:

Aye 

Only one of the Yates brothers riding (other keeping powder dry for Giro or Vuelta) 

Think it’s Adam in TDF, he’s signed for Ineos for next season 👍🏻

Simon has unfinished business at the Giro 

On 30/07/2019 at 14:11, Tonge moor green jacket said:

Watched the cycling up Rivington when the commonwealth games were on.

Absolutely fantastic. To be fair, any top level sport is an eye opener when you watch it live. The speed etc takes your breath away.

Remember seeing Harmison bowling, and his arm hyper extending when I saw him in a one dayer at Durham. Then the ball almost instantaneously arriving at the batsman.

As a football fan, you see that game frequently, from an early age, so growing up with it, perhaps take it for granted a bit and don't realise the level some of the players are at.

We had tickets for super Saturday at the Olympics. Farah won a gold, after first lap Yoof asked why they were sprinting in a long distance race. They got faster ! 

6 hours ago, jayjayoghani said:

That the stage Froome + team made him look an amateur? 

Was thinking more about him blowing up after being in the pink jersey for most of the race. 

The stage when Froome left them all behind was unbelievable! Something like 120km on his own! 😅

Edited by jeep
Spelling

• 2 weeks later...
  • Site Supporter
24 minutes ago, ErnestTurnip said:

It's farcical this year, think it was 6.2W/kg that was the limit where PED use was guaranteed and Roglic and Pogacar have both been well over 7 this year. It's a pantomime and although I've loved it since I could barely talk I've stopped watching it.

Can you enlighten me as to what this means exactly. Are they monitored for power output and considered as doping above a certain level?