Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

World Cup Memories 50 Years Ago.

leigh white

Riding my bike as quick as fuck from my house after finishing a bread round job, then up to Tyldesley to Squires Lane via all the dirt tracks from Astley to see my girlfriend in her house watching the telly for the match. Her dad owned the Aspin Club in Bolton and layed a nice buffet on. First time I ever supped ale at the time to celebrate the win as a 12 year old. 

Riding my bike as quick as fuck from my house after finishing a bread round job, then up to Tyldesley to Squires Lane via all the dirt tracks from Astley to see my girlfriend in her house watching the telly for the match. Her dad owned the Aspin Club in Bolton and layed a nice buffet on. First time I ever supped ale at the time to celebrate the win as a 12 year old.

12 years old ?

Mick, didn't you mean 1066 ?

I had just left Junior School and moved from a rented house, 28 Seddon St. to our own house. 24 Seddon St. L/H

We played football on the field (grass verge) in front of the house before watching the match in our 2 up 2 down terrace on a small b&w tv.

Me, my older brother, younger sister, Mum & Dad.

It seemed like the whole country was watching it.

After the drama of the match, we were out again playing football on the green thinking that we, England, were unbeatable and that we would win it every year, for ever.

No year in my life will ever compare with 1966.

Having a party tomorrow to celebrate with a DVD of the match starting at 3pm.

I had just left Junior School and moved from a rented house, 28 Seddon St. to our own house. 24 Seddon St. L/H

We played football on the field (grass verge) in front of the house before watching the match in our 2 up 2 down terrace on a small b&w tv.

Me, my older brother, younger sister, Mum & Dad.

It seemed like the whole country was watching it.

After the drama of the match, we were out again playing football on the green thinking that we, England, were unbeatable and that we would win it every year, for ever.

No year in my life will ever compare with 1966.

Having a party tomorrow to celebrate with a DVD of the match starting at 3pm.

That's brilliant, I think I was in Blackburn town centre before the Bolton game when the pub showed the game on the telly randomly about 14 years ago.

Was that when you acted like a starfish 30ft up or when I threw a hammer the length of Scotty Rd,haha

The Starfish movements prevent you from having a bad fall, take heed. That lump hammer I chucked to you what went over the roof at Swinton what nearly hit that women's yed who was hanging her washing out, was an act of god.

The Starfish movements prevent you from having a bad fall, take heed. That lump hammer I chucked to you what went over the roof at Swinton what nearly hit that women's yed who was hanging her washing out, was an act of god.

Ssshhhhhhh, that job was on one of Salford Trotter's houses haha....

What's your plans on Aug 20th pal ? Got my mitts on some free rattler tickets to the smoke if you fancy a day out ?

Ssshhhhhhh, that job was on one of Salford Trotter's houses haha....

What's your plans on Aug 20th pal ? Got my mitts on some free rattler tickets to the smoke if you fancy a day out ?

Yeah S, will be up for that pal. I don't have to push you about in a wheelchair though do I ?

6 year old. My sisters where excited around our black and white telly. I told em I preferred the game when the players made a spiders web.

Also 6 year old and I don't remember owt

Even though Geoff Hurst had played well in in the quarter final and semi final (as replacement for Jimmy Greaves who was injured) must people assumed that Jimmy Greaves, now fit, would play in the final as he was the star player at the time.

Hurst played and the rest is history as they say.

Alf Ramsey always said that he didn't pick the best players in that tournament, he picked the best team.

Even though Geoff Hurst had played well in in the quarter final and semi final (as replacement for Jimmy Greaves who was injured) must people assumed that Jimmy Greaves, now fit, would play in the final as he was the star player at the time.

Hurst played and the rest is history as they say.

Alf Ramsey always said that he didn't pick the best players in that tournament, he picked the best team.

Greaves was the star player at the time, but dropping Hurst in the final after the win in the semi v Portugal, he had to play the same line up with Hurst.

Come on soft lad, give me the works what you want down London and I will show you.

Haha, nice one Mick.

In the smoke, I don't want you pissing your pants and telling me you love me as always.

Meeting a couple of old Headhunters and I mean old...........they're your age pal haha !!!!!!

Also got a lightweight Pompey lad meeting us but he's sound as a pound..

Hope he had the foresight to video the incident on his phone! haha...seriously though, hope you have a swift recovery mate.

Thanks P.

SM's neighbour told me Ste had said....I'll finish my brekky then get Miami on YouTube. The fire brigade carted me down whilst S was on his seventeenth banger and twenty eighth rasher of Tesco's Finest Smokey Bacon.......he's gone posh you see since he moved up our way...

Bloody snob he is now.....

Haha, nice one Mick.

In the smoke, I don't want you pissing your pants and telling me you love me as always.

Meeting a couple of old Headhunters and I mean old...........they're your age pal haha !!!!!!

Also got a lightweight Pompey lad meeting us but he's sound as a pound..

Fuck off, know some bushwackers from Bermondsey when we played table football at a pub in New Cross in 74.

I was 6 and remember it like it was yesterday.

All sat round our black + white telly,Grandad Grandma,Mam,Dad,Brother,Sister. My bottom lip was wobbling when the Germans scored the equalizer towards the end of the 90 minutes - i thought they'd win it after that..

A year or so later my dad took us to some hotel function room to watch the whole 120 mins in glorious technicolour with totally different camera angles to what we'd seen previously.

My owd fella made sure we had a colour telly for the 1970 world cup in Mexico, people walking past our house used to stop and try and watch our telly!

Happy days