Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Th'olympics

Spider

Are darts now included since they have had bmx-ing and horse prancing? 

I'll watch the fast running to medium fast running and maybe whatever Mo Farah runs.  

The amount of people who were wanking themselves daft over everything about the 2012 games was embarrassing. The legacy... oh the legacy..Soppy cunts.

Aye lots of hysteria from people who won't give a shit this time around. The only legacy is that Wet Spam got a new stadium. I also heard that fucking skateboarding is now included.

The only legacy is that Wet Spam got a new stadium.

That's not the only "legacy" is it, lets be honest

Due to the Olympics being held in 2012, the area was massively regenerated and the transport infrastructure was greatly improved. Also we now have some world class facilities for some of the other sports.

All in all, it was a good thing for the country to have the Olympics here, as it generated a vast amount of money and jobs - I don't get why some people seem to have a downer on London 2012, I thought it was great.................although I do appreciate that a of people do have a massive chip on their shoulder about anything that involves "that there London"

The most obvious bit of Olympic legacy in Bolton is the Jason Kenny centre or Bolton One if you prefer.

It's fuming was sourced through Sport England and other bodies looking for ways to improve participation in sports of various types. The Muslamic wimmin of Halliwell were one particular target group.

I don't know about anybody else but I can't move without some kind of Olympic legacy getting in my way in Halliwell. If anything I'm bloody sick of it.

Fair enough, as you don't see anything in your immediate vicinity, then it hasn't happened

As pointed out by Frank above, even Bolton has benefited from an event that was predominantly in London, who would have thought it

That's not the only "legacy" is it, lets be honest

Due to the Olympics being held in 2012, the area was massively regenerated and the transport infrastructure was greatly improved. Also we now have some world class facilities for some of the other sports.

All in all, it was a good thing for the country to have the Olympics here, as it generated a vast amount of money and jobs - I don't get why some people seem to have a downer on London 2012, I thought it was great.................although I do appreciate that a of people do have a massive chip on their shoulder about anything that involves "that there London"

Give me £9.3 billion of taxpayers money and I reckon even a dope like me could create something along those lines. However, we were sold a line that the legacy would be more sporting participation especially by the young. Completely failed on that front:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2015/jul/05/olympic-legacy-failure-london-2012-message-millstone

I'll watch the fast running to medium fast running and maybe whatever Mo Farah runs.  

Men's 10k is 01.25 on Sunday 14th morning (i.e. late Saturday 13th night).

Men's 5k heats are 14.05 Wednesday 17th afternoon, final is Sunday 21st at 01.30 (Sat 20th late).

The heptathlon (Jess, KJT, Brianne, etc) starts at 13.30 on Friday12th  and finishes, allegedly, at 02.53 on Sunday 14th.

Men's 10k is 01.25 on Sunday 14th morning (i.e. late Saturday 13th night).

Men's 5k heats are 14.05 Wednesday 17th afternoon, final is Sunday 21st at 01.30 (Sat 20th late).

The heptathlon (Jess, KJT, Brianne, etc) starts at 13.30 on Friday12th  and finishes, allegedly, at 02.53 on Sunday 14th.

I'll not be watching them then  :D

I won't let it interfere with my sleep, it's no World Cup. I'm a sports fan so will follow as much as I can.

Also, Team GB. I detest this rather recently adopted term. There was nothing wrong with the Great Britain Team before. This foreignisation (have I just made a word up?) of our sporting teams is unnecessary. What next FC Bolton Wanderers?

The most obvious bit of Olympic legacy in Bolton is the Jason Kenny centre or Bolton One if you prefer.

It's fuming was sourced through Sport England and other bodies looking for ways to improve participation in sports of various types. The Muslamic wimmin of Halliwell were one particular target group.

Bolton One opened before the Olympics took place wasn't it? And as far as I understand it - funding was through a 3 way partnership between the NHS, Bolton Council and the University of Bolton.

Fair enough, as you don't see anything in your immediate vicinity, then it hasn't happened

As pointed out by Frank above, even Bolton has benefited from an event that was predominantly in London, who would have thought it

Alright Sweep - the Halliwell comment was a bit facetious but I still don't think Bolton has benefited from it. Not in any tangible sense anyway. Perhaps Frank has a better understanding of the finances of Bolton One given his job - but I wasn't aware of it coming via any Olympic money? Even nationally I'd argue it looks to have been a waste of time. There are 125,000 fewer people engaging in regular sport now than there were in 2014/2015 according to the reports I've read.

It was a good (although horrifically expensive) party for a couple of weeks. I don't think we've got our money's worth - obviously you feel differently.

• Site Supporter

let's not forget it's also littered with gash, the womens shot putt is a personal favourite

19th+Commonwealth+Games+Day+6+Athletics+

I don't know Big E personally, so it's not my place to make any sort of comment on here about this picture.

Bolton One opened before the Olympics took place wasn't it? And as far as I understand it - funding was through a 3 way partnership between the NHS, Bolton Council and the University of Bolton.

It opened just before the Olympics but the funding was secured as part of the drive to get people all over the country into sports following London being awarded the games.

• Moderators

Didn't watch the 2012 one. Utter shit, that people pretend to care about.

Saying that I went to an Olympic football match and found Honduras can sound like wanderers if you put your mind to it

Spent last few minutes, whilst having a shit, singing "we are the one and only Honduras" (in my head)

Spent last few minutes, whilst having a shit, singing "we are the one and only Honduras" (in my head)

Haha and alternate with the simple but catchy Honduras, honduras, honduras. I struggled with the rest of the words on it Edited by tomski

Renamed since 2014 as Bolton Nil