Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

Winx

bolty58

• Members

I know you blokes get a chance to bet on the WS Cox Plate up there. There are usually UK/Irish representatives engaged.

Last year, I backed Winx for around 6 months leading up to the event for 8.00 into 5.00 and she did this:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiqJn1iAGOE

She came out yesterday in her pipe opener for a defence of her title and did this:-

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-20/winx-confirms-dominance-in-warwick-stakes/7769506

Freakish splits. Nowt brave about tipping a even money/5-4 shot but, I note that she is available at better than 7-4/15-8 up there and believe me - that is outstanding value.

The race is on October 22nd. All I can do is point these things out.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I hope someone listened. I took all the 7/4 I could on Betfair. Got a little 2.86 and 2.82 here and there as well. Phenomenal performance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3kAfJ-XWDA

To use an Americanism, I will be backing the 'threepeat' at 3.50 which they have just put up. Trainer has already said he wants to make history being the first to win it 3 times and 3 times on the trot.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Besides taking the early $3.50 for the 2017 Cox Plate, the other news I have for you boys is that it sounds like she is coming to Europe.

Details sketchy at present but I'll be updating you and urging you to take any earlies they put up.

http://www.racingpost.com/news/horse-racing/waller-eyes-2018-royal-ascot-tilt-with-superstar-winx/2233944/#newsArchiveTabs=last7DaysNews

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • Members

Just been trialling leading up to her pipe opener in the Group 2 Warwick Stakes on August 19th which she will absolutely piss in and probably be a 1.07 shot!

Strong rumour is that after she completes the unprecedented feat of 3 consecutive W.S. Cox Plate wins in October, she will be put away and readied for Royal Ascot.

I hope this is right because we might finally get some odds! Can't complain, I have over a grands worth of free bonus bets on her for the Cox Plate at prices ranging from 3.50 down to evens. Free money.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Members

I remember it happening once with some bookie over there (was it Fred Done?) paying out early on Man United winning the PL.

Never happened to me before but Sportsbet down here have paid out early on Winx winning her third consecutive W.S. Cox Plate tomorrow. A few grand straight into the account and it's not even race day yet!

I had been backing her since last October at various prices starting at 3.50 and down to evens. She is currently $1.15 to win tomorrow.

As I have said previously, if you see black odds about her for whatever they decide to go for at Royal Ascot, don't hold back.

This is what she does to Group 1 fields (her warm up race for tomorrow)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Nm5tSJWiAU

• Members

nice to be paid out before the race, as you know anything can happen once racing. I'm not sure she'll be backable over here if she does win again in the Cox Plate, the bookies won't be overly generous, no chance of EVS+

That's a shame. I suppose it's what she goes for.  Likely to be a big mile race or preferably a mile and a quarter. I have no chance of getting anything other than tomato sauce down here.

Evens would be luxurious odds for me.

I am sat here 30 minutes out from the Cox Plate and there is a big track bias towards leaders - the pundits rating it a 2-3 length start. This means that Royal Symphony, a 3yo with a feather weight, may have some advantage. I am predicting that Winx may only win by 8-10 lengths now.

• Members

Well, she did it but not easily as expected.

Beat Humidor by half a length with a big gap back to Folkswood. As I'd already been paid out, it was actually good to see her receive the challenge and fight to maintain the gap and I believe she was just starting to pull away again at the line.

Most of her races have been processions so it was pleasing to see her fight.

History made now with 3 consecutive Cox Plates. Final decision on Royal Ascot next March.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Traf is right on all counts (apart from the fact that she's a mare).

Bottled it indeed but, I suppose when you've banked millions from her, you don't really give a fuck what anyone else thinks.

Winning the Cox Plate 3 times consecutively is phenomenal. If she manages it 4 times, it will never be matched.

Not sure I am viewing it right but it just may be that they have noticed a very slight drop in her performances? Not absolutely streeting them any more unless my eyes deceive me or I am not making allowances for her best to be seen in her stated 'cup finals'. Maybe there's just an inkling that she may not be at her very best now and the thought or her winning run being ended in 'Pommyland' is just too much to bear?

There seems to have been a drop in confidence across the entire Australian sporting scene recently. Can't think why.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Winx would win.

A wise man speaks. Those 'in the know' know that Moonee Valley is as peculiar as Chester if not more so. Most definitely horses for courses and she has had massive experience there.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hence the reluctance to try her overseas.

......and the easy and large pickings she can scoop up down here. This last Saturday:-

https://www.news.com.au/sport/superracing/winx-aiming-to-make-history-with-26th-straight-win-at-royal-randwick/news-story/4bbb8a1424192110f78b0f7742f9b651

Ladbrokes gave us even money but you could only have $20 on!!! Two free pints for nowt at Perth prices!