Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

List Of Long Gone Pubs In Bolton You Haved Supped In But Just Naming One.

leigh white

Taskers.

Grab a granny in there.

Should've been called 'Desperate Measures' as I recall Monteraze had a slightly later licence, midnight last orders iirc, if you then wanted to extend the night further (Taskers being one of few options weeknights) then you really were flying pisspot credentials, or desperate (or both).

that's the one, cheers

Wouldn't know where Morrisons is now. The Black Swan at the junction of Stitch Mi Lane and Hardy Mill Road/Arthur Lane?

If so, remember it very well mate. Bass Charrington house?

Nah mate, i think you're thinking of The Nab Gate (Now a restaurant) The Black Swan was on Harwood precinct - Greenhall Whitley gaff iirc. Edited by Burndens Bogs

Nah mate, i think you're thinking of The Nab Gate (Now a restaurant) The Black Swan was on Harwood precinct - Greenhall Whitley gaff iirc.

Correct BB, The Black Swan was at the back of Harwood precinct

Is the 7 Stars still there? - at tthe corner of Tottington Road and Lea Gate?

Also, what about "The House with No Name" which was a bit further down on Lea Gate?

Correct BB, The Black Swan was at the back of Harwood precinct

Is the 7 Stars still there? - at tthe corner of Tottington Road and Lea Gate?

Also, what about "The House with No Name" which was a bit further down on Lea Gate?

Yes C - 7 stars and no name are still going.

....and whilst we're at it, does The Little John on Lever Street still exist  -  it looked like it was on the brink of closing down when I last went in there in about 1995, so would be surprised if it's still around.

As I worked at HB Electronics as a youngster, my drinking dens were General Havelock, Little John and Cattle Market  -  what a grim selection of boozers...but when you're 16 years old, I guess you'll sup anywhere that is willing to serve you  :)   - a special mention to Churchills as well, which was a Friday lunch time and Friday night favourite

• Site Supporter

....and whilst we're at it, does The Little John on Lever Street still exist  -  it looked like it was on the brink of closing down when I last went in there in about 1995, so would be surprised if it's still around.

As I worked at HB Electronics as a youngster, my drinking dens were General Havelock, Little John and Cattle Market  -  what a grim selection of boozers...but when you're 16 years old, I guess you'll sup anywhere that is willing to serve you  :)   - a special mention to Churchills as well, which was a Friday lunch time and Friday night favourite

Little john. Went in a few times after a shift at Bolton plastics. After an evening in the injection moulding department it was the fastest I'd ever supped a pint.

Does that count- a 'new' pub that didn't last that long.

It must be a record for most short lived. I must admit I didn't really read the title and thought it was "pubs supped in only once." Lived round the corner and never knew anyone who went in.

• Moderators

It must be a record for most short lived. I must admit I didn't really read the title and thought it was "pubs supped in only once." Lived round the corner and never knew anyone who went in.

didnt max carter sup in there?

• Site Supporter

Lot from Blenhiem rd and Sutton trust estate used go in there as well as a few from Darcy, used to get fairly packed in its " heyday " which I would guess would be the mid/ late 80s, lot of scrotes and head cases too, one landlord used to keep order as much as he could,but if you lived around the corner you could probably hear the breaking glass each weekend, went down hill rapidly in the 90's, admittedly from a fairly low starting point in the first place.

Edited by fatolive

There was one on Knowsley St in town, near where the hospice shop is now, that was really short lived.  Great, big place but always empty. probably because it was just off the main boozing, beaten track.

• Site Supporter

There was one on Knowsley St in town, near where the hospice shop is now, that was really short lived.  Great, big place but always empty. probably because it was just off the main boozing, beaten track.

Vague recollection of being in there once, was it called the Dome or something like that? I could never figure out in later years if I had actually been in a pub there or if I had imagined it in a drunken haze as I never saw it again.

Think I went in on the way up to McGinlay's gaff further up

Bloody hell, the dome, I remember something like that but like you say, it was a trek to other places in town.

It's a shame how 20 odd years ago Bolton was a great night out. It's not even like I'm an old fart who doesn't go out anymore.

Edited by no balls

It may come as no surprise I've skanked around the Hospice shop once or twice in the past, in a John, John Lovejoy stylee (no luck, no Van Meer or owt, just tat I'm afraid). Anyway, The Dome was before my time for supping, but a mate's mam took us in for a bite to eat as kids, was impressed with the actual dome at the time, it's still there and intact in the tat shop, looks biz these days. :(

Edited by Youri McAnespie

Does anyone remember Bar Babylon up there? There's hardly any mention of it, well no mention at all to my knowledge...

Thought Bolton had got with the times and was on the up when we got a bar with permanent 1210s as a feature, until loads of moody Halliwell 'gangsters' started continually holding court there, spoiling it for all the non cap-busters.

I bet the lads running it felt like Bolton's Tony Wilsons, having their dream ruined by naughty dealy shooty types.

• Members

Nah mate, i think you're thinking of The Nab Gate (Now a restaurant) The Black Swan was on Harwood precinct - Greenhall Whitley gaff iirc.

Aha! Thanks mate. You won't believe this but my next question was going to be "What was the one in Harwood precinct close to a famous BWFC players clothing store?"

Was thinking about it shaving this morning. Huge place with shite ale.