Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

List Of Long Gone Pubs In Bolton You Haved Supped In But Just Naming One.

leigh white

• Site Supporter

Can't remember that one, when was it flattened?

Anyone remember The Falcon on Kay St? It was demolished 30 years ago when they were building Topp Way.

yes , was a tetley pub, 

did the ale trail in 3 days

24 different pubs 

great days

sorry wrong one

ale trail was 30 pubs

marathon  was  24

Edited by victor meldrew

No biters on The Grapes? My old man was the landlord for a while when I was a nipper.

Right next door to the library and was on the corner there of Belmont Road and the ring road.

When was The Grapes demolished?

Technically bolty it can't have been next door to the library as the building next door was where I had my jabs as a kid and my polio on a sugar lump which was later Franking Sense. Not a pedant or owt me................

My earliest memories of the area would have been about 68/69? Remember going to the Co-Op the other side of the traffic lights and remember Asda being built but no memory of The Grapes at all

• Members

Can't remember that one, when was it flattened?

Anyone remember The Falcon on Kay St? It was demolished 30 years ago when they were building Topp Way.

Not sure when the Grapes was flattened mate. Mid 60's at a guess.

Yep, I remember the Falcon. Eagle and Vulcan on Folds Road (opposite the Ebony Club) anyone?

• Members

When was The Grapes demolished?

Technically bolty it can't have been next door to the library as the building next door was where I had my jabs as a kid and my polio on a sugar lump which was later Franking Sense. Not a pedant or owt me................

My earliest memories of the area would have been about 68/69? Remember going to the Co-Op the other side of the traffic lights and remember Asda being built but no memory of The Grapes at all

It was definitely on that corner mate. The library was next door and then the Conservative Club (I think?) on the other side of that. There was a sort of little car park on that corner for many years where the Grapes used to stand. I'd guess the Grapes would have been demolished between '61 and '63.

Not sure if there's any 'old pub' sites where we can track this down but I assure you I could see the Three Pigeons from my bedroom window and looked down along Crompton Way. Was the other pub on the corner there The Pineapple?.

I also remember the Co-op on the other side of the lights plus the football pitch next door and I think it was the Acdo factory behind the pitch. The Co-op was straight opposite the terminus for the number 10 bus (which became the 510 and then the 538).

Just edited because I remember having my jabs and some dentistry in that area. Pretty sure it was in the building which later became the library?

Edited by bolty58

• Site Supporter

Sally Up Steps

Was called Stanley Arms iirc

Lostock Arms

Old school pal, Steve Oddy, was managing it fairly successfully for a while. He's still managing pubs but out of Bolton.

I don't suppose many will remember The Black Swan in Harwood - roughly where Morrisons is now.

Started off as a restaurant in one half and a pub in the other. It was probably my first dining experience, going in for birthday treats

Another Chorley Old Road one, Funnys. I don't even know what that place was

Was it the old Victory Conservative Club?

Postcode BL5 .

That will.do for me.

Blue Bell, Wash Lane Bury. Well, it has a BL9 postcode so fits according to Embankment.  :thumbsup: 

• Members

Blue Bell, Wash Lane Bury. Well, it has a BL9 postcode so fits according to Embankment.  :thumbsup:

Used to drink in there for a while. Did my apprenticeship at Walmsleys and that was the local Whitbread watering hole - especially after playing football in the MIL and RDSL.

They used to do a blinding 'minute steak' sandwich.

Old school pal, Steve Oddy, was managing it fairly successfully for a while. He's still managing pubs but out of Bolton.

Started off as a restaurant in one half and a pub in the other. It was probably my first dining experience, going in for birthday treats

Micky D , noticed you were absent from the Beer Festival.

• Site Supporter

As I'm not really an "real ale" aficionado, I rarely frequent such events.  I go to the Bradshaw Cricket Club one and volunteer behind the bar but that's about my level; handing it out and watching others get pissed.

It was definitely on that corner mate. The library was next door and then the Conservative Club (I think?) on the other side of that. There was a sort of little car park on that corner for many years where the Grapes used to stand. I'd guess the Grapes would have been demolished between '61 and '63.

Not sure if there's any 'old pub' sites where we can track this down but I assure you I could see the Three Pigeons from my bedroom window and looked down along Crompton Way. Was the other pub on the corner there The Pineapple?.

I also remember the Co-op on the other side of the lights plus the football pitch next door and I think it was the Acdo factory behind the pitch. The Co-op was straight opposite the terminus for the number 10 bus (which became the 510 and then the 538).

Just edited because I remember having my jabs and some dentistry in that area. Pretty sure it was in the building which later became the library?

Not doubting you mate about The Grapes being there I was just joking/being pedantic about the other buildings. It would have been next door to the council clinic where kids got their immunisations, and next door to that was the library and then the Conny Club or whatever was there before that was built

Saw my Mum today and my parents moved back to Bolton in the Summer of 63 and she reckons The Grapes was gone by then 

Blue Bell, Wash Lane Bury. Well, it has a BL9 postcode so fits according to Embankment. :thumbsup:

Nah Victory was/is further up next to Kings Arms, where I watched the 5-1 England Germany game.

Was just thinking about Halliwell Lodge actually Boltondiver, remember the surrounding wooded bits being great for making dens!

Fun pubs, that's brought back a memory. Not a pub as such but used to be a place, called Scandals I think, opposite the church on Trinity Street, might be an Indian now.

Had strippers on and a mate got covered in Johnsons baby powder on a tuesday lads night out while assisting a girl out of a basque. Back to our local in Aggy to try and clean him up before he went home smelling all fresh.