Wanderers Ways. Neil Thompson 1961-2021

List Of Long Gone Pubs In Bolton You Haved Supped In But Just Naming One.

leigh white

Fun pubs, that's brought back a memory. Not a pub as such but used to be a place, called Scandals I think, opposite the church on Trinity Street, might be an Indian now.

Had strippers on and a mate got covered in Johnsons baby powder on a tuesday lads night out while assisting a girl out of a basque. Back to our local in Aggy to try and clean him up before he went home smelling all fresh.

Scandals was previously The Painters, my 1st "local" &, for a while , a big matchday Wanderers' pub, not least for its proximity to the station :innocent: .

After Scandals, I think it was briefly a gay club & is now an Indian restaurant.

Used to be one on Chorley Old Rd called Funny's iirc. Never went in, was just a bit too young. Think it's a Thai place now innit? Or am I confusing it with where Sally Up Steps was?

Funnys morphed from Ziggis.The Thai Gaff (Nam Ploy) is further down C.O.R. in what used to be Sally Up Steps.

"Fun Pubs" started around the early 80's i think. The difference between a "Fun Pub" and an ordinary boozer was, they usually had a later bar + a DJ on during the week and various games/promotions.

Loada shite + a bit gimmicky, i guess it was an attempt to get some bodies in during the week.

Edited by Burndens Bogs

Scandals was previously The Painters, my 1st "local" &, for a while , a big matchday Wanderers' pub, not least for its proximity to the station :innocent: .

After Scandals, I think it was briefly a gay club & is now an Indian restaurant.

Became Mr D's and was painted pink as fuck. After that it was The Academy - indie nights, live bands, cheap shots, etc - aimed at the students over the road who, for the most part, couldn't have been less interested. Think I went to a football club presentation night in there once.

Lived opposite that in the church until recently, I'm glad they've done something with that building because it looked a mess, it's one of those Asian Dessert places now. Incidentally that's the title of a video I saw on X-Hamster once.

Feels very forgotten down there though, I know Acharis does well but not too sure about the new place. Very popular area for smackheads and drug deals to be done too!

It was definitely on that corner mate. The library was next door and then the Conservative Club (I think?) on the other side of that. There was a sort of little car park on that corner for many years where the Grapes used to stand. I'd guess the Grapes would have been demolished between '61 and '63.

Not sure if there's any 'old pub' sites where we can track this down but I assure you I could see the Three Pigeons from my bedroom window and looked down along Crompton Way. Was the other pub on the corner there The Pineapple?.

I also remember the Co-op on the other side of the lights plus the football pitch next door and I think it was the Acdo factory behind the pitch. The Co-op was straight opposite the terminus for the number 10 bus (which became the 510 and then the 538).

Just edited because I remember having my jabs and some dentistry in that area. Pretty sure it was in the building which later became the library?

I think the Grapes got demolished when they realigned Moss Bank Way to Join up with Crompton Way.

• Members

I think the Grapes got demolished when they realigned Moss Bank Way to Join up with Crompton Way.

Pleased to hear someone else remembers it mate. I think you are right about the realignment having some effect.

Will be speaking to the old man this weekend so will find out more. We had to get out and they moved us to one at Howfen near the greyhound track. White Horse rings a bell. 

Chicken farmer next door used to chop the chickens heads off with a guillotine and me and my kid brother were fascinated how the headless ones ran off and took up to a minute to fall over.

• 3 years later...
  • Site Supporter

Edgerton Arms Farnworth. 

They had a miniature indoor fountain in an unlit fireplace. Someone was always tipping the water out and putting lemonade or cola in it. It bubbled up for a bit then stuck the fountain up to fuck. Only the wasps enjoyed it.

49 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I couldn’t find my way out of there one night 

Well you won't be able to find your way in now Rudy😂.      Rumours around that the  Fox & Stork on Halliwell Rd has shut for good, dunno if the rumours are true like. I know the landlady died recently.

On 18/10/2017 at 13:12, enzo gambaro said:
On 18/10/2017 at 12:19, bolton va va said:

Became Mr D's and was painted pink as fuck. After that it was The Academy - indie nights, live bands, cheap shots, etc - aimed at the students over the road who, for the most part, couldn't have been less interested. Think I went to a football club presentation night in there once.

Went there loads for a short time 😄

• Members
25 minutes ago, Burndens Bogs said:

Well you won't be able to find your way in now Rudy😂.      Rumours around that the  Fox & Stork on Halliwell Rd has shut for good, dunno if the rumours are true like. I know the landlady died recently.

There’s probably still folk inside it 😂

• Members
3 minutes ago, leigh white said:

Tanita tikaram was a frequent visitor to the Fox and Stalk back in the day.

The door had about 50 coats hung on it and I couldn’t make it out. The tail end of a three day bender didn’t help 😁

2 hours ago, Burndens Bogs said:

The halliwell mile won’t be as tough as it once was nowadays